Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

99 Sport, No locks or passenger window

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 99 Sport, No locks or passenger window

Gotta love electrical gremlins. So I have a 99 sport, power windows/ locks however neither of the lock switches actually lock or unlock the vehicle. Then, the right front passenger window won't go up or down with either switch. The lights seem to flicker when Im pressing the buttons. I'm confused because I can still adjust the mirrors on both sides so would anyone know what to do about this?

Im not in any way electrically inclined with wiring so Im not sure where to start. I found an old write up but the pictures no longer existed. What kind of shop would be able to track it down and fix it for me?
Old 10-27-2017, 04:22 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 6 cyl

I am dealing with some electrical issues on mine right now and from my research it seems the wiring can get worn down at the door. You may want to start there and see if there are any worn looking wires before spending money at a mechanic.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:29 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Even the passenger window and lock switch dont work so I have no idea where to begin and its just creating irritation.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:24 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 6 cyl

I hear ya, electrical is one of the most frustrating things because it could be the smallest most random thing causing a problem. I feel your pain right now.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

You could have a couple different things going on. Here is the first thing I would do.

If that does not fix all your issues, next up would be to inspect the wires that run through the door on both sides. They are known to break apart inside the rubber boot that connects the door to the body. If your locks still dont work at that point, it might be time for a new passengers side switch panel. That panel controls the lock function.