Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'99 electric windows problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I-6
Default '99 electric windows problem

I've had this problem since I've owned my XJ. The passenger windows (rear + front) will not work, except from the driver controls. If someone tries to roll their window up or down, the light on the switch turns off and the window doesn't move.

Every once in awhile they do work, but that's maybe twice a month. Before, I was able to rapidly tap the window-lock button, and then they would work.

Would a new driver's switch help? or somehow bypassing the window-lock? Thanks for any advice guys.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:30 PM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by Graham Crackers
I've had this problem since I've owned my XJ. The passenger windows (rear + front) will not work, except from the driver controls. If someone tries to roll their window up or down, the light on the switch turns off and the window doesn't move.

Every once in awhile they do work, but that's maybe twice a month. Before, I was able to rapidly tap the window-lock button, and then they would work.

Would a new driver's switch help? or somehow bypassing the window-lock? Thanks for any advice guys.
In the long run, possibly a new one.

The problem is that the drivers switches are dirty. Take the switch panel out, get some compressed air and blow it clean. That usually fixes it for a little bit anyway.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:12 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I may seem new, but I've dealt with this problem with my 92 Limited and also with my 98 Sport. The problem lies with the window lock button on the drivers' control panel. Some days it will make good contact, other days it will short and leave the passenger out and dry. Recommend either: 1) rip apart and clean contacts, 2) replace switch.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:11 PM

Alrighty, well I'll be making a trip to the junkyard then. I already attempted cleaning out the switch box, didn't have any effect. Hopefully a new one will work, makes sense that it would. Thanks dudes
Old 02-14-2010, 12:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

Originally Posted by Graham Crackers
Alrighty, well I'll be making a trip to the junkyard then. I already attempted cleaning out the switch box, didn't have any effect. Hopefully a new one will work, makes sense that it would. Thanks dudes
common problem on these beasts. Search on here for "window lock bypass" theres a good one on here that consists of 10-15 mins of time a small piece of wire and 2 quick splice connectors.

If you cant find it let me know, ill find it for you!
Old 02-15-2010, 02:38 PM

Awesome, thanks Storm. I found another one, where a guy bypassed the switch with just a paper clip haha.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/win...working-13287/

I'm going to go try it right now

EDIT: maybe I'll do that for now, and do it the other way when I get the supplies. A fire doesn't sound fun