Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

99 cherokee cluster ... half works.. fuel/odometer don't

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 99 cherokee cluster ... half works.. fuel/odometer don't

I'm a small independent used car dealer in vegas.. I had a request for 99 cherokee strt 6 4.0L. I bought one at Manheim auction and of course my customer had already found one. I am trying to resell now (3900$) I got a call today and this guy likes it but wants me to get a few things fixed. The cluster does not work and i was told it had the wrong one on it also..(no rpm) so i ordered one on ebay . We put it in and only half works. The gas gauge and the speedometer don't work. He says it's prob the speedo cable and the fuel sending unit. Does this sound correct? and where should i order this from.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Old 03-04-2013, 12:23 PM

Ok now i learned it's not the Speed cable ...it's the speed sensor. Does this sound right. Also was told i need the entire fuel pump not the sending unit alone....or they don't sell them separate. I was quoted 120 for speed cable and 160 for fuelpump/sending unit no labor. I have a mechanic who can do it but should i try ebay or pick a part. I'm worried about doing all this work and then the cluster still won't work. I'm getting too burried in this cherokee and don't want to spend too much .
Old 03-04-2013, 02:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by SCOOPTHELOOT
Ok now i learned it's not the Speed cable ...it's the speed sensor. Does this sound right. Also was told i need the entire fuel pump not the sending unit alone....or they don't sell them separate. I was quoted 120 for speed cable and 160 for fuelpump/sending unit no labor. I have a mechanic who can do it but should i try ebay or pick a part. I'm worried about doing all this work and then the cluster still won't work. I'm getting too burried in this cherokee and don't want to spend too much .
Before buying those parts do an instrument cluster actuator test. If all the gauges function as described in the test then you can assme there is a problem with the VSS and/or the fuel pump module assembly, or the related wiring. If the fuel quantity and speedometer do not respond to the test it can be assumed there is something wrong with the instrument cluster; specically those gauges. The instrument cluster can be removed and the instrument attachment screws checked for security. If they are secure the instrument cluster should be replaced.

Instrument Cluster Actuator Test

(1) Begin the test with the ignition switch in the Off position.

(2) Depress the trip odometer reset button.

(3) While holding the trip odometer reset button depressed, turn the ignition switch to the On position, but do not start the engine.

(4) Release the trip odometer reset button.

(5) The gauges should cycle through their ranges, stopping at intermediate readings, going up and going down, at two second intervals. The indicator lamps should cycle on and off.

(6) The instrument cluster will automatically exit the self-diagnostic mode and return to normal operation at the completion of the test, if the ignition switch is turned to the Off position during the test, or if a vehicle speed message indicating that the vehicle is moving is received from the PCM on the CCD data bus during the test.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:51 PM

Thanks...i sold the car yesterday but told customer i would fix those two things...she is gonna bring it back in a week and i will try those things.

Thanks again