Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 XJ Stuck Hatch

Old 11-17-2015, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 98 XJ Stuck Hatch

My hatch has opened fine since I bought this Cherokee, now today I can't get it to open. I tried unlocking it with the Fob and with the key. I tried to push and pull on the hatch while working the handle. Can't get anything to work.

It looks like you can't get the hatch panel off with the hatch closed.

Any hints on this? Not really wanting to break the panel, none of the local salvage yards have one.

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2015, 06:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Rich3
My hatch has opened fine since I bought this Cherokee, now today I can't get it to open. I tried unlocking it with the Fob and with the key. I tried to push and pull on the hatch while working the handle. Can't get anything to work.

Any hints on this? Not really wanting to break the panel, none of the local salvage yards have one.

Thanks!
Do a search on the interwebz. Plenty of the same thing. Mine XJ is earlier so has a different setup and even though I searched online, nothing came up definitive so I ended up figuring it out myself but I think for your year it is pretty common.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:33 PM

Year: 98

Keep trying to yank it open. Give it a rest if it doesn't work then try again. Sometimes mine gets stuck and it'll eventually open with a robust yank. Then spray some lubricant on the latch mechanism. That usually helps for a while before getting sticky again.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

I think there are a few videos on YouTube on how to fix this. Try looking there.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 174 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Try pulling up on the handle and hitting the hatch. If that doesn't work try leaning into the hatch then lifting the handle.

If neither of those work you CAN get the interior trim off with the hatch closed. Once that's off you can open the hatch and inspect the mechanism. There is a rod that the mechanism is clamped to. You can move the clamp up the rod to solve this issue.

Like stated, plenty of videos and info out there, but it's easy enough to figure out if you just take the panel off and look at it.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:11 PM

I had a similar problem on my old '98. If I recall some screws worked loose and jammed the mechanism inside the panel.

I recall for sure removing the bottom of the panel and holding it back out of the way with a 2X4 so I could release the latch. It took a bit of contorting to reach the latch without breaking the panel; it seems to me, the panel is secured with screws along the top of the hatch that can't be reached until the hatch is open. I then resumed the repair with the hatch up and the panel off.

s

Last edited by scottfisher; 11-17-2015 at 10:13 PM. Reason: spelling like a two year old
Old 11-17-2015, 10:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by Rich3

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2015, 01:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I had the same problem on my '00. Started after I replaced the rubber stops. Figured they were pushing the hatch out a little and it would not always open. The video posted above helped me. The part about pushing in with the heel of your palm to the left of the latch while pulling on the latch worked for me. You can separate the plastic hatch molding enough to get at the latch with the hatch closed from the inside without destroying it if it will not open that way. Just have to be careful. Did that to a boneyard Jeep to get at a tail light assembly I needed. Here is the one revision to the video I would recommend. When you get ready to adjust the rod do this. Do not mess with that little fragile plastic clip like he does. Wrap some masking tape on the threaded rod above the top clip for a point of reference. Look at the bottom of that threaded rod and you will see a more traditional door lock/latch type clip. Much sturdier and easier to separate. Spin the threaded rod so more is showing above the fragile looking top clip. Believe it was clockwise and 2 turns worked for me. Thought the zip tie idea was good so did that.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

yep, you can get the plastic off with the door closed. i just redid mine the other day.
there is 4 or 5 phillips head screws along the top and 2 no.25 or 30 torx under the little rubber caps in the handle.
remove those and pull the plastic starting along the lower edge of rear window. there are plastic push tabs holding it on.

once you get the plastic off, there is a small threaded rod in the opening at the latch which is supposed to be attached to the handle clip. it might have just slid up on the threaded rod, but if you pull that rod up hard enough, you will open the hatch.
then reinstall that rod while pushing it as far down/closed as you can and same with the handle clip. this way when you pull the handle, it will have enough pull to move the rod and open hatch.

do this while the lock rod is unlocked. you can also push/pull it from inside. it's to the left of the latch. you can hear the motor as you push/pull it with your hand.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:22 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions! Watched some videos and did some looking around, finally got the hatch panel pulled back enough to get my arm in there and pull up on the rod. The rod disconnected from the clip. Got it back together and put some good epoxy on it to keep it that way. Thanks a bunch everyone!