Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 XJ rear roof speakers cut out frequently

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 98 XJ rear roof speakers cut out frequently

Hey guys. I've done a lot of searching on this issue and have yet to turn up anything too helpful. I've got a 98 XJ without the Infinity sound system, so it has a speaker in each of the front doors as well as two speakers in the back, mounted in the sound bar on the ceiling. My problem is that going over a bump will sometimes cause my rear speakers to work for a couple hours, and they sound great, but another bump will cause them to stop working again.

The front speakers work fine. Because of that, I have not yet pulled the head unit out and checked the connections on the back of that. I've checked the connectors on the rear speakers in the sound bar, and they seem just fine. I want to avoid tearing apart the whole interior tracing the wires, if possible. It looks like the wires connect to the rear speakers and then drop off behind the interior along the right side, and I'm not sure how they are routed up to the head unit after that.

Are there any points where the wires for the rear speakers are known to break or come loose? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2015, 02:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1999

All you can do is check the wiring... It sounds like an indefinite wiring issue
Old 05-07-2015, 02:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by mediccody
Hey guys. I've done a lot of searching on this issue and have yet to turn up anything too helpful. I've got a 98 XJ without the Infinity sound system, so it has a speaker in each of the front doors as well as two speakers in the back, mounted in the sound bar on the ceiling. My problem is that going over a bump will sometimes cause my rear speakers to work for a couple hours, and they sound great, but another bump will cause them to stop working again.

The front speakers work fine. Because of that, I have not yet pulled the head unit out and checked the connections on the back of that. I've checked the connectors on the rear speakers in the sound bar, and they seem just fine. I want to avoid tearing apart the whole interior tracing the wires, if possible. It looks like the wires connect to the rear speakers and then drop off behind the interior along the right side, and I'm not sure how they are routed up to the head unit after that.

Are there any points where the wires for the rear speakers are known to break or come loose? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
There is a connector right along the driver side even with the sound bar behind the trim. Check that that cause it's easy. I would check the head unit because that's where the most action happens. Guys put a radio in but nobody likes to do the connections, then when you push the wires in the unit squashes them into the dash. It's the most likely area for a bad connection.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:46 PM

Year: 1998

Thanks Cheddarnut, you're awesome. I will start there.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0 Inline

I had a similar problem in that my rear speakers will not work at all, I pulled the trim piece off and the plug was seated in. I traced it up to the kick panel and everything there looked good too. The harness that runs from front to back also has the left rear taillight assembly in it and the light in the sound bar used to work (too much bull and not enough china shop) but everything except the speakers works. Is there another plug in between the back of the radio plug and the harness in the kick panel that may be disconnected that anyone knows of ?
Old 05-07-2015, 10:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0
Default 98 XJ rear roof speakers cut out frequently

Pull the speakers out and see if you are getting any power to them.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0 Inline

I did check that and I had the meter on DC volts and got nothing.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:40 PM

I'm probably a little late to help you, but I'm thrilled to report I finally figured out where the connector that gets covered in dirt is that would cut in and out on the rear speakers! On the passenger side of my 99 Cherokee Sport with factory radio, the rear panel under the side window comes off and down in wheel well is speaker connector that seems to gather dirt down there. Cleaned it up with electrical cleaner and finally I have sound back there. I had installed new speakers too. Also the wire in passenger door in rubber boot split apart. Fixed that too. Now 4 speakers work after messing with this forever! Think many folks have this problem. Never found an answer. This was my answer!