Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 XJ Heater control question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 98 XJ Heater control question

I am a new XJ owner, maybe 3 weeks tops. With this XJ I have found the heater works incredibly GREAT! No problems with the heater.

Where I have a question is the controls. The fan control works, the temperature control also works. The, I guess you would call it directional control, where the heating or cooling output goes, I do not think that is working. All the heat comes out the defroster vent and no matter what position I put the directional control in, say to just the feet or just the front vents, it still just comes out of the defroster vents.

Is that control an electronic control, manual control, or vacuum type control? Or does anyone else have any ideas?

I apologize for this question that is probably found in a haynes manual but I have not had my manual ordered yet. Doing so after posting this.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:56 PM

Year: 94
Engine: 4.0 I6

Vacuum controlled. Is your vacuum ball attached? Should be on the passenger side behind the front bumper.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by 2doors
Vacuum controlled. Is your vacuum ball attached? Should be on the passenger side behind the front bumper.
I will definitely check out that vacuum ball. Any chance of my finding a photo of it somewhere? Or maybe a diagram showing where behind the front bumper it may be?
Old 02-20-2013, 09:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

I don't have a pic. But it is located on the passenger side behind the front bumper. You can see it from under the truck. Check it for cracks, loose hoses. Also fallow the vac hoses all the way to the fire wall.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
I don't have a pic. But it is located on the passenger side behind the front bumper. You can see it from under the truck. Check it for cracks, loose hoses. Also fallow the vac hoses all the way to the fire wall.
Okay I looked but did not see anything there... I have my haynes manual now would anyone know if there is a vacuum diagram somewhere that may show this and or a photo of this somewhere?

The haynes coverw so many vehicle years the controls changed and such so it is hard to go off of the haynes manual....