Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 xj Classic 4.0L Wierd auto trans probs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 98 xj Classic 4.0L Wierd auto trans probs.

newbie to the site, and I owe many thanks to all the experts already!!
thread virgin - so 'ere it goes. pop!

I believe I have the aw4 transmission for starters....correct me if I'm wrong.

9 months ago I drained and replaced the tranny fluid, there were no previous issues whatsoever. just needed to do it mainly b/c it didn't have that nice red color any longer and the 130,000mi it had persuaded me as well. I only noticed slight improvement after changing, but I was not expecting any either, noticeable smoother shifting though. Need to note - did not drop the pan and replace the filter, figured I'd change out fluid and see where that goes. b/c there was no issues with it before, just one of the to-do list things I didn't put any more effort into it and have not done anything else as far as transmission maintenance. Well so here we are today....

There is some sort of gremlin in the transmission. It does not usually act up when I initially start the jeep and shift into OD - usually this happens after sitting overnight. (not sure if that has anything to do with it). But nearly always, after driving any distance any speed when I come to a stop - even at the end of a hundred foot driveway! - when I then press the accelerator from the dead stop I am in fourth gear. Very low power and acceleration, high rpm's until I get going where fourth gear feels like fourth gear. I'm fairly certain it's fourth - without going into od gearing - because it never shifted or engaged od even when I finally got it to 70mph. I can however manually shift to 1-2, when I feel the sluggish start, and it shifts just fine. As well as I can shift to 3 and OD and the trans with shift 4 times, but OD will never engage.
After saying all that; some mornings, if I am lucky, I can make it all the way to the x-pressway without stopping. gotta love country roads! She'll work like a dream if I do not come to a stop. Even engaging the od at highway speeds.
Any ideas on where to start? I hate to throw parts at it until I reach a solution, but this one has me stumped. Looking for any ideas on what else to look for or replace while I have it apart as well.
I have read that some have replaced the sensor or solenoid inside the transmission pan (any clarification would be great), and even diagnose the TCU as their problems. But their symptoms are not like my own, lucky me!

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:02 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: I6

was the first tranny fluid change done at 130k miles? if so that is not good.....alot of trannys will go out if u have never done a change then change it at 130k miles. if u dont change it every 25k then never change it, cuz it will definately go out on u soon after. (most the time)
Old 03-31-2010, 01:15 AM

I can only assume it was maintained regularly. I have only owned it a short time but previous owner was responsible enough. If I still had my flux capacitor I would go back in time, but I let a friend borrow it! in other words, too late now - I've already replaced the fluid.

Last edited by donkeypunch; 03-31-2010 at 01:16 AM. Reason: i was dumb
Old 04-01-2010, 11:21 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Any codes being thrown?

-E
Old 04-01-2010, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Eli Lilly
Any codes being thrown?

-E

I will be taking it to the local parts store to rerun the scanner. I have a constant code for lean-fuel mixture that is always on so I am not sure if there is a new code present. I hollowed out the cat and haven't had the time to put a new one on so therefore the o2 sensor is throwing a lean mixture code.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:03 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

I'm pretty familiar with the 91-95 XJs and on those, when the TCU takes a dump, the transmission stays in 3rd or OD (can't remember which). The FSM testing procedure is basically if it shifts correctly "manually" using the shift lever but mis-shifts with the selector in D, then then problem is electrical. But on yours the TCU is part of the ECU, so I don't know how that factors in. But, with the OBDII, I'd be checking codes first, for sure. Will probably lead you right to problem.

-E
Old 04-02-2010, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Eli Lilly
I'm pretty familiar with the 91-95 XJs and on those, when the TCU takes a dump, the transmission stays in 3rd or OD (can't remember which). The FSM testing procedure is basically if it shifts correctly "manually" using the shift lever but mis-shifts with the selector in D, then then problem is electrical. But on yours the TCU is part of the ECU, so I don't know how that factors in. But, with the OBDII, I'd be checking codes first, for sure. Will probably lead you right to problem.

-E
I will definitely get the codes checked today.

Update: I let her sit for a couple of days, had to get the ol ford back out! I test drove the jeep for 5-10 miles and then a little further - 50 miles, last night, not one friggin problem! I let my wife take it to work today, 100 miles round trip. So far so good. If only it would completely break down, then I would know what the problem is! lol I take it back Jeep gods, please don't break my jeep!

Thanks guys. Will update with the codes tnight.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:07 AM

Default OBDII codes

P0700 - Transaxle control system fault....ECM received a signal that the transaxle control module has a fault
Probable causes:
-Shorted or open circuit within transaxle
-Failure of transaxle control module

P0758 - 2-3 shift solenoid circuit fault.....TCM has detected voltage on the 2-3 shift solenoid during a period when the solenoid is not active.
Probable causes:
-Open or short circuit condition
-Poor Electrical connection
-Failed 2-3 shift solenoid
-TCM fault

So....anybody know where the TCM or TCU is located....as well as the 2-3 shift solenoid?

Oh btw....it didn't have any shifting problems today on the long test drive. go figure!

Last edited by donkeypunch; 04-03-2010 at 12:12 AM. Reason: fat fingered the keys!!
Old 09-19-2012, 04:05 PM

Engine: Inline 6

I just realized this is from 2010 but I'm having the same exact problem as you did, did you ever fix it or find out how?
Old 09-19-2012, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bowbowman
I just realized this is from 2010 but I'm having the same exact problem as you did, did you ever fix it or find out how?
Yea I did. Pain in the *** to track down b/c of the intermittent aspect of the prob. It turned out to be the shift solenoids. Or more exactly the torque converter solenoid. There are three altogether. I decided to go ahead and change out all three, there are kits you can buy($130 or so) - keep in mind it's the same trans as the Toyota so the kit you buy may say its for a toyo. Also went ahead and did a fluid and filter change. Worked wonderfully. Zero shifting probs since. Shifts smoother than it ever had before. I know people say that changing fluid and filter so 'late' is bad but I have had no issues. There is a great write up on here. Ill try and link it for you.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/a...errerid=265073

These are the ones. eBay is always an option too I guess.

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-00094393a.htm

Last edited by donkeypunch; 09-19-2012 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Link added
Old 09-19-2012, 09:52 PM

my 98 w/ 128k had the same shift problems & the cel was on w/ solenoid code, i replaced all 3 solenoids & all is fixed, shifts great , cel went off too. it would drive fine if i shifted thru the gears manually, i did that for 2 weeks until i fixed it. dont buy cheap solenoids, use high quality ones i paid $235 for the set of 3.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 i6

Originally Posted by srb531
my 98 w/ 128k had the same shift problems & the cel was on w/ solenoid code, i replaced all 3 solenoids & all is fixed, shifts great , cel went off too. it would drive fine if i shifted thru the gears manually, i did that for 2 weeks until i fixed it. dont buy cheap solenoids, use high quality ones i paid $235 for the set of 3.
Hey i was wondering where you got the three solenoids?