Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 sport. Front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 11:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: '96
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default 98 sport. Front suspension

Ok guys. I'm about to step out of my comfort zone and undertake changing the ball joints, tie rod, drag link, and associated bushings on my daughters 98 sport (I guess the thread title should have been steering and not suspension. Luckily I have my son to help and hopefully one of his friends who both have a lot more experience with cars than I do.. So what am I biting off here? We should have a shop to do this in with air tools and such. What problem areas should I be aware of before I start and end up beating my head with a hammer Anything to pay real close attention to during disassembly and reassembly so I don't end up with an Her Cherokee is just a daily drive with no off road driving ever invisioned so the parts are a kit ordered on Amazon with just stock equivalent parts. I've watched a few YouTube vids and it looks pretty straight forward. Yeah right!! Somehow I've a feeling it won't be. My guess is that on a scale of 1 to 10 it is going to be a 15 for me. ;-)

Last edited by GregB58; 10-15-2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

For the ball joints, make sure you have a decent press. My buddy had a cheap one and it started to bend on the first ball joint, and was completely useless by the end of the second, and I had to go rent one for the other side. You'll also need the angled adapter, or you'll have to use some make-shift spacers (I used a couple of thick washers), to press the top ball joint in straight.

As for the rest, I like to measure when doing the Tie rods... some people count threads when they take the old off, but however you choose to do it, you want the new TRE to be as close as possible to the old, then you will need to go get an alignment or at the very least, do the old driveway alignment.

A pickle fork can help with some of the more stubborn joints, or a pitman arm style puller... you'll also find a BFH a helpful tool, and don't forget to have the grease gun ready. You'll want to grease all the new components up before you take it out for a test drive.

THis was one of the first repairs I ever attempted on my Jeep, and even on my ol' rust bucket, it wasn't to bad. Pressing the old ball joints out was about the worst of it.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: '96
Engine: 4.0L HO

"This was one of the first repairs I ever attempted on my Jeep" ..... I bet you weren't 57, with balky knees and a sometimes iffy back (too many PLFs - that parachute landing falls, for the uninitiated ;-) ) when you attempted it though. Maybe I'll just supervise while sipping a glass of Gentleman Jack and watch the youngsters handle it. Nah!!.. what fun would that be to own a Jeep and not get my hands greasy!
Seriously, thanks for the info.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by GregB58
"This was one of the first repairs I ever attempted on my Jeep" ..... I bet you weren't 57, with balky knees and a sometimes iffy back (too many PLFs - that parachute landing falls, for the uninitiated ;-) ) when you attempted it though. Maybe I'll just supervise while sipping a glass of Gentleman Jack and watch the youngsters handle it. Nah!!.. what fun would that be to own a Jeep and not get my hands greasy!
Mid 40's and hadn't turned a wrench in 25+ years. I made a new years resolution to learn how to fix my own vehicles right after I bought an old XJ that was going to need a ton of work. So far, I've owned it for two years, and haven't had to pay a mechanic once. Never to old to learn though, and thank you for your service. Sorry you got banged up during it.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 165,00 Miles

Originally Posted by GregB58
I'm 71 with my share of PLF's and you and I know that a bad PLF is better than a streamer. Anyway, I am doing my own work and having fun. When you have a problem have a GJ ( great choice btw. I miss it) sit back and then go for it again. IF you were 82nd you won't quit. You can do it.