Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 Limited lost rear drive shaft

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default 98 Limited lost rear drive shaft

Hi all,

i recently bought a 98 Cherokee limited. While driving on the highway Tuesday, I heard a loud thunk and lost throttle response. I looked in my mirror and saw my driveshaft skidding along the highway behind me. I took my truck to my brother in laws shop to have him see if anything else was damaged. According to him, nothing else was damaged. He said all I need is a new drive shaft, u joint, and u joint straps. I plan to go to the pick n pull tomorrow morning to pick up what I need. Via google I haven’t been able to find in depth enough instructions on replacing the shaft. Can anyone guide me step by step on the entire process so that I do this properly? Thank you In advance for any help. I’ll attach the photos I have below.

Old 03-07-2019, 07:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

To remove and replace a driveshaft you unbolt the 4 strap bolts and pull on the shaft and it will come out of the transfer case and then installation is the opposite. It looks like there's a lot of oil or fresh paint under there. Is that oil?
Old 03-07-2019, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by SatiricalHen
To remove and replace a driveshaft you unbolt the 4 strap bolts and pull on the shaft and it will come out of the transfer case and then installation is the opposite. It looks like there's a lot of oil or fresh paint under there. Is that oil?
thanks for your response. The driveshaft removed itself on the highway going about 70mph. I am clear on what needs to be done to install the new shaft in a basic sense, but the details I’m unsure of. I am moderately mechanically inclined, I just never have tackled a project like this. I know I will need to top off or drain and replace the fluid in the transfer case. Do I need to lubricate where the shaft connects to the transfer case or anywhere in the back where it connects to the diff? The u joint? If so, what do I use? The fluid all over the bottom is ATF because I am currently missing the rear drive shaft, so it is leaking from the output shaft? On the transfer case.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee

Rear pumpkin/differential fills to the plug line. It shouldn't be leaking due to this. The transfer case fills to the top plug. Pulls out with a 3/8 inch ratchet. Might need an extension. Do NOT drain the tcase till you know the top bolt comes out to fill it. Might be a good time for a full fluid change tho.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by BillyBoy
Rear pumpkin/differential fills to the plug line. It shouldn't be leaking due to this. The transfer case fills to the top plug. Pulls out with a 3/8 inch ratchet. Might need an extension. Do NOT drain the tcase till you know the top bolt comes out to fill it. Might be a good time for a full fluid change tho.
thanks for the info. The rear diff is not leaking. Only the transfer case. Thanks for the heads up on draining the TC. Logical but easy to overlook. How about where the shaft slides into the TC or the u joints? Do I lube/grease that stuff at all?
Old 03-07-2019, 09:14 PM
CF Veteran

I'm fairly certain that a 98 transfer case should not be leaking when the driveshaft is pulled unless it got damaged in the process. I know on my 99 the transfer case does not leak when the rear driveshaft is removed.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by SatiricalHen
I'm fairly certain that a 98 transfer case should not be leaking when the driveshaft is pulled unless it got damaged in the process. I know on my 99 the transfer case does not leak when the rear driveshaft is removed.
my brother in law who checked on everything said I should expect a little fluid to leak from the rear output shaft? With the drive shaft missing and to monitor the TC fluid level until I replace the drive shaft.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

Without the drive shaft in there it's going to pump fluid out. You won't make it far. It'll be far more than "a little fluid leak".

Edit-Missed the part where it's a 98. There's something else going on there if it's pouring out fluid like that.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by downs
Without the drive shaft in there it's going to pump fluid out. You won't make it far. It'll be far more than "a little fluid leak".

Edit-Missed the part where it's a 98. There's something else going on there if it's pouring out fluid like that.
i wouldn’t say pouring out fluid. A few drops on the ground after sitting. And I’m confused, being it’s a 98 should I have no leak at all??
Old 03-07-2019, 10:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts
Year: 1995

Originally Posted by FetusLasVegas

i wouldn’t say pouring out fluid. A few drops on the ground after sitting. And I’m confused, being it’s a 98 should I have no leak at all??
on pre97s the drive shaft went through the rear outputshaft seal. After that they changed it. Thats a crapload of ATF slathering the bottom of your Jeep. It wouldnt suprise me if you were down to half the fluid in the case it doesnt hold much.

the transfer case has a pump it doesnt just depend on slinging oil everywhere. In the older pre 97 tcases without a driveshaft in there it would pump it out.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by downs
on pre97s the drive shaft went through the rear outputshaft seal. After that they changed it. Thats a crapload of ATF slathering the bottom of your Jeep. It wouldnt suprise me if you were down to half the fluid in the case it doesnt hold much.

the transfer case has a pump it doesnt just depend on slinging oil everywhere. In the older pre 97 tcases without a driveshaft in there it would pump it out.
well it was roughly a 60mi trip home after it happened. I’m at work now, and have to drive home ~7mi. I’ll top the TC off first thing in the morning before going to the pick n pull. Are you inferring that there may be something else wrong? And if so, what should I be looking for??
Old 03-07-2019, 11:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by FetusLasVegas

thanks for your response. The driveshaft removed itself on the highway going about 70mph. I am clear on what needs to be done to install the new shaft in a basic sense, but the details I’m unsure of. I am moderately mechanically inclined, I just never have tackled a project like this. I know I will need to top off or drain and replace the fluid in the transfer case. Do I need to lubricate where the shaft connects to the transfer case or anywhere in the back where it connects to the diff? The u joint? If so, what do I use? The fluid all over the bottom is ATF because I am currently missing the rear drive shaft, so it is leaking from the output shaft? On the transfer case.
1. Yes, where the shaft slides on the rear shaft the transfer case is typically lubed. This is the slip yoke that allows the shaft to extend and contract as the rear axle moves up and down. It can be lubed with general purpose automotive grease.

2. Serviceable u-joints (the kind with grease fittings) must always be lubed before put into service. They come with a small amount of lube in them, but should be fully lubed after install. Non-serviceable u-joints (without fittings) are lubed when you get them. Use standard automotive grease suitable for chassis and suspension. The parts store counter person can point you to the right grease, and gun if you don't have one.

3. The transfer case you have should not lose fluid out of the rear output shaft - even when the rear drive shaft is off. That rubber boot is only meant to protect the slip yoke. If it is leaking out of that general location, the tremendous strain it encounter when the rear drive shaft failed probably damaged the transfer case rear output shaft seal. If it is damaged, it will continue to leak until it is replaced. It is also possible that the rear output shaft seal on the transfer case has been failing for some time, and the fluid was mostly collecting in the rubber boot, so that when the rear drive shaft departed - the transmission fluid trapped in the boot came out. I suppose if the boot was very tightly sealed it could hold in the leaking fluid while only loose a few drips here and there (transmission fluid is hard to contain, it tends to get passed things easily).

Did you go back and collect your drive shaft off the road?
Old 03-07-2019, 11:16 PM
CF Veteran

Since your jeep is leaking fluid from the transfercase and it happened because of the driveshaft coming loose I would be looking for a crack in the case, play in the output shaft meaning the bearing could have been damaged letting the shaft move around in the seal, the seal could've been damaged, or something else. Basically there's fluid on the outside of something that's supposed to hold the fluid inside so I would suggest cleaning it as best as you can, adding fluid and see if you can see where it's coming from. Maybe even just cleaning will show you the damage. I can't say for certain what is wrong without seeing much better/clearer pictures or seeing it in person.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1989 & 1990

Little side note:

It looks like at some point you also lost the tailpipe...

🤔

Old 03-08-2019, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by arto_wa
Little side note:

It looks like at some point you also lost the tailpipe...

🤔

Nah, bought it that way...

Quick Reply: 98 Limited lost rear drive shaft