Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'98 Jeep Cherokee XJ Suspension Replacement

Old 09-09-2012, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default '98 Jeep Cherokee XJ Suspension Replacement

I have a saggy 98 XJ that I use as a daily driver. No plans for offroad here. I had originally just planned on replacing the shocks and steering stabilizer shock but the more I think and look the more I realize that if I am taking the time to work on this thing I might as well just do most of everything.

The rear leaf springs sag. The old rubber bushings for just about everything are shot. I want to replace what I can with new but I don't want a big lift kit or a lift kit of any kind really. I just replace with stock equivalent or upgrade parts where it doesn't cost much more.

I was wondering one thing. I had planned on a small 1.5" lift with an Old Man Emu set but it's just more money than I want to put into this thing. I had thought that a factory option for these XJ's was an 'Up Country' 1.5" factory lift. Could I just get the replacement parts for the 'Up Country' suspension option? How did Jeep manage that lift?

In addition to the shocks I am looking at new sway/stabilizer bar bushings...which leads into my next question...how do I know what bar size I have? Measure? I will replace the leafs on the rear with all the required bushings and the rear sway/stabilizer bar bushings. Give me a heads up if I should be aware of anything.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:25 AM

I just replaced the bushings on my 2000 front sway bar due to a thumping noise it was making over bumps. The 25mm daystar poly kit works nice. One thing to keep in mind (depending) on where your jeep lived is the sway bar links may be rusted bad and if so, the top bolt will snap off even if you PB blast it. I broke both of mine but my xj lived for 10 yrs in New Jersey. So just buy some cheap replacement parts store links.... Use the rubber bushings that come with the links at least on the bottom and poly on top ( that's what I did ). Then the 2 poly bushings from daystar kit on the sway bar itself. Costs: daystar xj 25mm kit ~$25. Sway bar links~$20 each. Be sure to use the grease from the daystar kit on the poly bushings. Good luck! This posting caught my eye because I essentially want to do the same things your saying to my xj too. OME is expensive but so are all kits requiring new leaf packs. I heard OME shocks are awesome ride quality. I can't wait !! but your right those are pricey!!
Old 09-09-2012, 09:27 AM

Hey you guys. I am looking at replacing bushings to clean up my ride. I replaced springs and shocks with an OME kit. I used a kit sold as a 2" lift. I need to replace the other bushings which is why I saw this link. I will tell you the difference between old worn out springs and shocks and new OME is amazing. I mean really amazing. I am a fan of smaller lift is better. The bolts holding on the leaf spring are as hard to get out as they say. I ended up cutting out the rear bushing with a cut off wheel and some time. The front bolt I had PB blasted for 2 weeks and then I used a rosebud end on a torch to heat it up a lot. You will melt some or all of the old rubber bushing out from the inside. It is smelly but no big deal don't let rubber drip on you. With the heat I got it to turn with a 2 foot breaker bar did not snap off weld nut. Most of the OME "kits" do not come with bushings so I bought poly ones with zerk fittings so I can lube them.

I do not know your budget. Rocky-road has a couple of "kits" that have various combinations of OME parts after having to buy more parts after I bought my kit. Rocky Road has the best list of all the "things" you have to buy. Quadratrac seems to have a complete kit that might include bushings. I have read on here Monroe actually makes OME shocks. I know Monroe will build shocks in what ever pre load and dampen you want if you order a minimum amount so could be true but no idea what difference is between the ones you buy at local auto parts store and the ones they sell are.

I typed a lot. I have not driven an XJ with anything but blown suspension and now OME springs and shocks. I have looked at a lot of leaf spring packs and OME are really good quality great fit and finish.

The coil spring I took out was about as strong as a pen spring compared to the OME I put in.

The guy I trust the most said no reason to buy the OME steering stabilizer so I bought the Monroe one form O'Riliey SC2928 or SC2829 my receipt is in the car but one of those #s is the right part # and the Monroe one comes with all the bolts and washers you need to not reuse hardware.

I am looking for bushing information I hope I did not Thread Jack