Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 jeep Cherokee classic problems with dying and idling

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 98 jeep Cherokee classic problems with dying and idling

My daughter was driving my 98 classic when it died at a stop light and wouldn't start. When I got there to help her it started but a few seconds later it died. The check engine light came on in the process so I towed it home. The two codes were the cam, and crank positioning sensors. So I've replaced the distributor cap, rotor, cam, and crank positioning sensors. It was running good for while but now it's having a hard time starting and it is idling pretty rough, but it haven't died yet. My next thought is to go to the fuel pump. I'm stumped!! Any help would be great. Thanks
Old 03-13-2017, 07:34 PM

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Is the battery in good condition? My '99 drove me crazy when the battery got run down. IT would kind of crank over but had a lot of trouble starting. I could jump it but as soon as it went to idle, it would want to die. I put a full charge on the battery and it was a little better but still had a hard time starting and idling. I finally gave up and put a new battery in it. Problem solved. Started right up and idled great. The battery definitely seemed ok. I have since found that it just does not like the battery being marginal.
Definitely would be worth checking the plugs to make sure they are not fouled in any way. I have found when it it having a hard time starting, the plugs get a little dirty and it makes the problem worse. Definitely only use the Champion coppers.