Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'98 Cherokee Intermittent no start/no crank and power door lock problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default '98 Cherokee Intermittent no start/no crank and power door lock problems

I am starting to ask myself why I keep this thing when I have new problems weekly.

I have a 1998 Cherokee 4.0 with 117,000 miles.

There is some electrical problem that started with the power door locks. A while ago the power door locks started working intermittently. All the motors are good. When they work, all 5 doors work, when they don't work only the passenger door module clicks.

This week it just got stranger. I stop for a drink and a snack on the way to work and when I go to start the Jeep it won't crank. Won't even click, like there is nothing getting to the starter at all. I have been having problems with the guages as well so I thought I would try to smack the dashboard (since that usually brings the gauges back), started right up!

Today it happened again but smacking the dash did not work. I just had to wait, hit the dash several times, and swear at it and it finally decided to start again. Fully thing is this time I noticed that while the car would not start the door locks started working fine! As soon as I got the car to start again, the door locks quit working again. This tells me that the problem is electrical and the two systems have something in common, maybe a ground.

So if anyone else has run into the same problem I would like to hear what you found. If not, I will be posting the solution once I find it. I have access to the wiring diagrams so I should be able to track it down.

Anyone have any reasons why I should keep this thing, I would like to hear them too. I should just rip out every peice of wire in this thing along with the engine and drop in a small block chevy and call it done.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:10 PM

Keep it because XJs are amazing, and all other SUVs pale in comparison
The problems are probably unrelated, if you get no click while trying to start it's probably the neutral safety switch or the starter relay.
Cant help with the doors as mine has manual locks

Did you ever sort this out?
Old 12-01-2012, 12:26 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

LOL, thanks for resurrecting my post from a very frustrating day with the Jeep.

Yes, I have sorted out the biggest problem which was the starting issue. It was the NSS, for the short term fix, I connected a wire to the relay terminal and when it would not start I just grounded the wire. Long term pulled the switch and cleaned it again.

As far as the locks and power windows. I think the passenger switch is bad but I just live with it for now. I love the XJ but the electrical in them SUCK! I have had cars a lot older with many more miles and I have never had so many electrical problems. I have a very lightly used XJ with 117,000 miles and the electrical is just not up to par.

Your lucky you have the manual stuff.