Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 Cherokee - Burnt wire in harness! What now? Please help :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0HO
Default 98 Cherokee - Burnt wire in harness! What now? Please help :(

Ok so my stupid self decided to build a control panel for my jeep (woods toy). Ignition, fuel pump switch, start button, radiator fans. took the column cover off, unplugged to big connector from the ignition key switch. re wired all the wires expect the starter wire to the ignition switch. plugged the battery up and smoke EVERYWHERE under the dash. Unplugged battery, looked at damage. There is like an 18 or 16 gauge black wire i cut from the connector and it burned it bad!! Started tearing thing out to look at the damage and i burned a few wires. I cant see how bad the damage is very far. What is my best bet? Get a junkyard harness? Is it all connectors under the dash? Or will i have to splice everything in? Should i take it to a shop? Estimate of how much that would cost? Is the wiring harness under the dash connected to the wiring harness in the engine bay? Does anyone know where that little black wire runs to? What it is? I guess its a ground and i was too excited and didnt pay attention to it. Somebody please help I want to go rock crawling If you need a video i can upload one to YouTube so you can see what im talking about. THANKS!!!
Old 10-18-2017, 11:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Can't tell exactly which wire... I will reference the last pics in my gutting the dash thread... Black wires go together, and then together again from what I can tell
Old 10-18-2017, 11:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Not sure for the 98, but my 90 does have a group of wires fun through a firewall connector to the engine bay