Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 4.0 stalling low rpm

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 98 4.0 stalling low rpm

So the other day I was comming home from work my jeep was running great but as soon as I backed into my driveway It started spitting and sputtering, I had about 1/8 tank of fuel and I never really run it lower than 1/2 tank so right away I thought I sucked something from the tank and was having a fuel issue.On my way to work the next morning I filled it up with fuel but it continued to run rough and now almost stalling.At lunch time It ran fine,I parked it to eat and when I got back in it wouldnt start,After trying it than letting it sit for a few mins it started but couldnt maintain an idol so the whold way back to the job I had to kinda keep riding my break and gas to get there without stalling. On the way home I had to drive the same way but I noticed someone was just laying on their horn at me so i look around to see who and why they were honking than realized it was my own horn lol,so my whole ride home im riding the break and gas with my horn going off. When I got home I was convinced because of the horn that it had to be some sort of electrical problem rather than fuel. I look at my ignition coil and see a few cracks in it so I change it all all my spark plugs also got a new battery and terminals because the battery was under warranty so what the hell.I crank it up when im done with all the work and the horn honks and it stalls still. I unplug the fuse for the horn and it starts up and been running fine since. The next day I bought a new horn relay I plug it in and than plug the fuse it and as soon as the fuse goes in the horn starts honking so I just left it unpluged. It continued running good all weekend but last night I went to a drive through and at low rpms it stalled again,it wasnt running rough or stalling bad like a few days before but still. anyone have any advise what I should look into? A buddy of mine said I should look into replacing my crank sensor. Thank you all advice is really appreciated.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Also when it stalled last night it wasnt consistent it was just that one time that night ran good before and after that.