Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'97 Rear Door Locked Up GOOD! Help!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO L6
Default '97 Rear Door Locked Up GOOD! Help!?

Alright, I've searched, watched videos, and drenched the entire door in PB Blaster and White Lithium Grease. The mechanism seems to be functioning just like the other door, so I think the latch inside is just rusted shut.

I've taken the panel off, lubricated everything, tried from the outside and the inside to get the door to budge: Pushed, Kicked, and short of breaking out my pry bar I have no idea how to get the door unstuck.

Is there a way to remove the door without opening it, by disassembling the hinges or the C-pillar?

Another thing to consider is the battery is dead. However, all the other doors open and lock, without issue.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:13 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I have no idea. I just got my hands on a beater XJ. I think the PO had the same issue - they installed a wire from the inside to operate the latch (common XJ problem,) but they also had to drill out the lock cylinder from the outside. Photos in my build thread.

Have you tried operating the mechanism from inside the door - using the wire trick?
Old 02-13-2017, 01:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

Try this first.
Had this happen a while back a few times also.
What worked for me is to press down hard on the horizontal trim piece right above the license plate while pulling the handle. Might have to play with it a while.
Worked every time i tried it.

I finally adjusted the latch mechanism to cure the problem. Its an easy adjustment once you get the panel removed.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:52 PM

Thanks guys, but I'm talking about the driver's-side passenger door, not the hatch. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:48 PM
Banned

Year: 2000 and 1998

someone posted how to pull trim and operate the mechanism. did you get the inside panel off?
Old 02-13-2017, 10:55 PM

Alright, so I've used an entire bottle of PB Blaster and spent 3 evenings of finagling the mechanism every which way.

I went ahead and disassembled the other rear door to compare and the difference in the mechanism's movements seem to be the lock-bar. On the functioning side, it has about 1" of movement and includes a solid 'thud' when pulled forward to the unlock position. On the non-functioning side, it has about 1/4" of movement and no such interaction with the internals.

Upon closer inspection, I can see the lock and unlock mechanism moving behind the mechanism's front plate, but only partially moving. It won't fully unlock.

I tried prying it up to further disengage the lock, but it won't budge. not with my fingers, not with a screwdriver, and not with a textured steel file. I just can't get the leverage needed to force it.

How can I get this door functioning again? Any thought?
Old 02-13-2017, 11:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

The only real way apart from cutting the door apart is to keep messing with it until it frees up and you can get it unlocked. I had the same issue on one of my doors. If I'm not mistaken the manual lock and power actuator attach in two different places on the latch mechanism. They have those funky little plastic clips which attach the actuator rods.

I would up removing the rods from the latch mechanism to take those out of the equation. I just worked the latch back and forth and finally with enough repetition and penetrating oil it worked free. I also had a bent actuator rod from the manual lock (which could have been from messing with it before I detached the rods).

You'll just have to keep messing with it unfortunately. Your only other option is cutting the door apart. I suggest once you get it open to replace the entire latch mechanism. I got mine directly from mopar.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:08 AM

Year: 1999

Ok. Yeah, I thought you mean the hatch. You know what? My rear Passenger door is stuck, too. I'll have to pull the trim and see what's what in there - just like you.

Do you have power or manual locks? Maybe the electronic actuator is frozen, not allowing you to move any internals. I wouldn't know how to fix it except detach it. You'll have to get in there and take things apart.

Keep us posted, and take some pictures if you can.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:38 AM

Yep, I have power locks. I need to stick a new battery in it anyhow, so I'll do that tonight and see if I can work it all free.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I had my drivers latch fail and not release from the pin.(I'm big and climbing over the consul was a real pain). I ended up plung-cutting through the door and cutting the pin with a saws-all. (to this day there is a strip of gorilla tape over that little cut).

Inside the mechanism there was a plastic piece that had worn enough to prevent it from un latching. Being pretty cheap I figured a way to bend the metal that pushes on that plastic enough to get it working again. Waz just thinking. I suppose if it happened again I could just pull the tape and I'd have a nice guide for the blade to cut the pin again!

Anyway, there's my story.

Last edited by DFlintstone; 02-14-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:58 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Se7en62
Yep, I have power locks. I need to stick a new battery in it anyhow, so I'll do that tonight and see if I can work it all free.
Disconnect the rod from the power lock actuator to the latch mechanism.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:44 PM
Banned

Year: 2000 and 1998

Being pretty cheap I figured a way to bend the metal that pushes on that plastic enough to get it working again.
bending is how you adjust them,,,sez i !!!
Old 02-14-2017, 04:07 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by nujeepguy
bending is how you adjust them,,,sez i !!!
Correct, bending the rods themselves will give you adjustment.

Within reason of course.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Originally Posted by LACK
Correct, bending the rods themselves will give you adjustment.
In my case nothing external would release it. After sawing the pin to get it open I removed the mechanism and bent a lever inside the mechanism, to have it push the plastic block farther. I forget if I took it apart to reach that, WAz 03)....I would remember if I'd needed to drill rivets though!
Old 02-17-2017, 08:52 PM

Which pin did you saw through? It's still jammed up. I've been a little sidetracked getting new wheels and tires, but I'm getting one more bottle of PB Blaster and I'm going to have my wife lend me her butt to push the door from the outside, while I work the lever from the inside (there's probably a pun in that somewhere.)

Last edited by Se7en62; 02-17-2017 at 08:55 PM.