Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

97 factory roof rack on 99

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 12:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 litre I6
Default 97 factory roof rack on 99

Very odd topic here somehow I doubt anyone's done it. My 99 has a half roof rack stops before the front seats I see that 97s came with a full rack spanning the length of the roof. I want that rack does anyone know what it'd take?

My inspiration funnily enough is that the detours USA lightbar roof rack is only applicable to the full rack factory system and doesn't work for the half rack so if I could some how swap the full rack into mine I'd be in business
Old 02-14-2017, 01:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I have removed my roof rack on my '00 to have some rust issues dealt with on my roof. The rack is secured with rivnuts that are in the roof. My guess is that because of the length of a '97 rack there is one or two more rivnuts on each side up front. Thinking one. Also thinking a '98 is also a long one too. The bolts are torx heads. Think they were T20's. So if it were me the first thing I would do is make sure all the holes on a '97/'98 rack line up with the existing holes on the '99. Drill a couple more in the roof, install the rivnuts, and bolt it in. My roof rack came off like nothing. If I were to do this I would remove the headliner. Partly so if I had to PB Blast the nuts it would not drip all over the inside of the headliner. Also so I could see what I was doing on the inside when installing the extra rivnuts. I have some up coming projects that I think I am going to install rivnuts. This is the tool that I have been eyeing to do the job.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Ralph77; 02-14-2017 at 01:12 AM.