Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

97 Cherokee No Power

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L 6 cyl
Default 97 Cherokee No Power

So once again I'm having to post on this forum asking for help. Last time I posted about my Nuetral Safety Switch. Thanks for all the answers from that btw. Well anyway, the problem seemed to have gone away for awhile...till it came back with a vengeance Saturday. When I went to work about 12:30 the car started up and ran fine. When I went out to the car on my lunch about 6:30-7:00, the car wouldn't start for anything, so I just used the battery for about 5-10 minutes off and on. After about 15 minutes, and messing with the shifter ****, the car started right up. So when I got off work, the car wouldn't start again, so I messed with the shifter and it started up. When I got home I tried to start the car again, and I had to do it again. So when I went to work the next day, I got in the car and turned the key and...nothing. No lights, door dings, no power at all. So I replaced the battery terminals that were worn down, rusrty and corroded. The battery I'm fairly certain has power, as there is a reading on the voltmeter. Still no power or anything...I'm at a loss as to what to do. Please help!
Old 05-20-2014, 12:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If the battery tests OK and the battery cables/connectors/grounds are in good condition, next thing to check might be the ignition switch itself. Look for discoloration or other signs of overheating.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:54 PM

Engine: 4.0L I6

Mine did this after replacing the battery. I'm not sure if yours is an ECU or PCM. But take negative off the battery and turn the key like you're trying to start it a couple times. Then reattach the terminal. Also check your terminal grounds.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:44 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L 6 cyl
Default Well I figured it out...

Silly me should've checked to make sure the terminals weren't coated and should've just used normal ones. Now it starts right up