Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

97 Cherokee Miss Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 97 Cherokee Miss Shifting

Hey, I'm new to this the forum thing but I'm completely stumped and don't know were else to go and tired of wasting money trying to solve my problem. I've got miss shifting from 1st gear to 4th I think. My check engine light says solenoid a. When it first started I was on vaca on the beach and luckily on my way home it stopped for 400 miles and now just started up again very often. So I first I changed the trans fluid and then had all the wiring checked, no problems. So I went ahead and changed all the solenoids myself but it started again soon after. By this time I've changed my fluid twice. I have the suspicion that it might be the tcm but I want to make sure that is what it is before I spend the money. When I was reading up on the tcm problems, it said if you could disconnect your battery and then driving it with the shifting being fine then the tcm could be the problem and that's where I'm at. Any ideas or sugestions would be great! Thanks!

1997 cherokee 4.0L automatic
3 inch lift

Last edited by corey430; 08-03-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, if you've already replaced the solenoids, the wiring is fine, and it shifts fine manually...the TCU is about all that's left. There is a TCU fuse, I assume that is OK?

You might also check your TPS (throttle position sensor), it plays a big role in transmission operation.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:20 PM

Thanks for the response, I've stumped about this. Sorry for the delay in response. I thought I had fixed the problem by replacing the TCM and for a while it did but is started up again. Now about the fuse, I went to Jeep and they seemed sure that there was not one on my model. And the wiring, when I had it checked I didn't have it done by someone that knew Jeep's well...bc I know a few mechanics and they look at it for me for free so I go to them first. So at this point its still happening, the only thing I can think of doing is having it looked at up at the local Jeep dealership even though I'd rather not haha.

Um I don't know about the throttle position sensor, guess I'll have to take a look at that.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:33 AM

Default 98 jeep

Did you ever fix it? I have the same issue....
Old 11-30-2012, 08:08 AM

No i ended up selling it bc it frustrated me too much. My guess about that problem was always though from when I got stuck at the beach bc of two bald tires, hot day, and full load; so I was stuck and had to get a tow but had no tow hooks so I got towed from the axel, obviously not smart but I didn't have many options and shortly after that I started having the miss shifting problem. Sorry I couldn't help.