Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

97-01 tailgate/liftgate hatch stuck shut?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 97-01 tailgate/liftgate hatch stuck shut?

Last night my friend had his '99 Cherokee over. I also have mine which we used to learn how the hatch handle works. He was wanting to fix the handle on the liftgate. The problem is that they get stuck shut and you can't get in to fix the problem without breaking the plastic interior trim since the necessary screws are not accessible.

He remarked that sometimes the hatch opens when it's cold out. We thought about sticking the nozzle of a can of 'canned air' into the handle where there's an opening and hold the can upside down. It'll spray liquid CO2 onto the general area and quickly chill it.

Somehow, that shrank things inside, and we were able to open the hatch. However, in a momentary lapse of intelligence, it got shut before we could get the necessary screws out. And I had run out of canned air.

So, he remarked that sometimes it comes loose if he's been driving on a bumpy road. So we headed out of town and ran a mile down some gravel. Sure enough, it opened. That time I was at the ready with a phillips screwdriver and a torx driver to get the pull handle off.

Once you have pulled the interior panel off, the problem immediately makes sense. The handle has a plastic 'finger' that pushes down on an assembly, opening the catch. The plastic finger wears down with time, but still functions occasionally. Fortunately for us, Jeep made the pull-rod which releases the catch, adjustible! The fix was to simply adjust the pull rod and lock in the retaining clip accordingly.

Once we did this, the hatch works perfectly fine again.

SO.. before you cut into your interior panel or pry apart anything, perhaps try a squirt of CO2 inside the door to chill and shrink things (I'm not exactly sure why this worked...) Or maybe take a trip down a gravel road. Nothing we did in my driveway (shaking, pushing, pulling, punching the door) would free it.

I'm new.. I've seen this same thread before, but I didn't see any tips to get in once you're locked out other than 'cut into things.'

So I hope I can help someone out.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:11 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0l

Good heads up for people with this problem. I was having this same problem and I tried the above mentioned a few times as well. I made adjustments and it would work for a bit and then it would happen again, I would make more adjustments and it happened again. I ended up cutting a hole in my plastic so when it does happen I can reach in and open it that way. I hated having to get into my cargo area and have to stand around doing tricks to get it to open. Yea..now I have a hole in my plastic, but I atleast can now get into it without delay.

Def. good information for those out there just experiencing this.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:40 PM
pwn
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

same thing happened to me. i ended up gluing that little plastic assebly to the arm that moves up and down. problem solved.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:44 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 I6

Same thing happend to me. For now, a spray of WD-40 and a quick, hard yank works. But, now I know how to fix it for real. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 07-09-2009, 11:40 AM

Engine: 4.0

This was great. I bought a can of air on the way home from work and had the hatch door open in less than a minute, the pull rod adjusted and everything put back together in 20 minutes. Thanks a lot.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:21 AM

Default 98 Cherokee Lift Stuck

Thanks for the advice, the canned of dust off was right next to the computer. So I grab it, ran outside and I had the hatch opened within seconds.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: Stock

I have found on mine that a light pound on the area just 6" or so to the left of the liftgate handle while simultaneously pulling the handle up pops it open as well. Don't hit it hard enough to dent it, just give it a few "love taps" and each time it dosen't work, let the handle back down....make it one fluid motion. My buddy showed me this and I call it the "Fonzie Move". He has it down to the first time every time on his...but it normally takes me 3 or 4 tries. Just my $.02
Old 03-20-2011, 05:23 PM

Default Gotta LOVE "The Fonz" move , but ...

on a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic ; the "Fonz" is pulled off about 3 or 4 inches to the right of the lock, not the left. Either way i would give both a good ol slap.

sprayed brake cleaner then a bit of wd40 on the latch . we havent put the back tailgate panel on yet. waiting to see if in a couple days she still works properly.

thanx for the help... Jimmy's and Jeeps 4ever.
sincerely,

maybe "Your" Mail Carrier.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:17 PM

Default Genius Fonzie

thank you thank you thank you! Got it first time on my 98
Old 06-12-2011, 07:12 PM

Engine: 4.0 inline 6

Great! thanks for the help
Old 06-12-2011, 10:39 PM

Who's the "fonz". Lol
Old 06-12-2011, 11:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999 Sport
Engine: I6

Old thread but its funny, Ive been wanting to ask about this.

My 99's been doing this for a few years. Seems like in the winter its always easier (one hand) but come warmer weather it gets tough/impossible. I find that putting my left hand on the hatch, just about and to the left of the handle and ever-so-gently pushing, then using my right hand QUICKLY snap the handle and pull, and she opens. every so often Ill have a real hard time and have to mess with it a bit more, but thats how it works for me. Wifey isnt as patient and cant seem to get it. She wants me to tear it apart and check it out.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:24 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6 H.O.

Dude that is ridiculous I thought I was going to have to replace somethin but now I look cool opening my broken hatch haha
Old 10-29-2011, 11:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999 Sport
Engine: I6

Again, OLD thread. This has been covered over and over but the problem is a pin thats moved out of place.

The threaded pin on the far right needs to be adjusted in that little clip. Thats all. REALLY easy fix.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

WOW! This is an old thread. But, I'm glade that it came back up. This is some good info to know.
Thank for bringing it back up.

Quick Reply: 97-01 tailgate/liftgate hatch stuck shut?