Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

96 XJ clunking sounds???

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question 96 XJ clunking sounds???

My 96 XJ with a 3.5" lift (I bought it this way 3 years ago) started making this clunking sound as well as a rattling sound (almost like a 10 speed bike gear sound). I strapped my sport cam to the side of the sway bar and drove around to capture the sound it makes. The engine and wind noise is a bit overpowering, but when I slow down it can be heard best.

Anyone know what it could be? I have a road trip this week and would like to take the Jeep, but I am concerned something will break if I do.

Please help!!!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by WiKDMoNKY; 06-13-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I couldn't make out much.... what I heard in the very beginning of the clip sounded like a bad u-joint??
Old 06-13-2017, 01:24 PM

2 more videos one on the passenger side and one on the drivers side. I put tape over the mic, so the sound is so bad this time. I see the trackbar moving a little bit on the passenger side. But otherwise everything else looks ok (AFAIK).

Passenger side

Driver side

If it is a bad u joint, am I stupid to drive it 130 miles round trip? Can I grease something to squeak another trip out of it?

Thanks for taking the time to look =)

Originally Posted by tacklebox
I couldn't make out much.... what I heard in the very beginning of the clip sounded like a bad u-joint??
Old 06-13-2017, 01:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Again... the only sound I could make out sounds like a worn axle U-joint....

I really can't say if it has 130 miles left in it or not... You need to inspect them to see just how worn they are. Certainly isn't something that you want coming apart on the highway.

That being said, I have one that is making a lil noise and I just changed the dang thing like a month ago so....
Old 06-13-2017, 06:50 PM

I picked up some Moog Heavy Duty u-joints and got my mechanic to install them both for $200. I will pick it up tomorrow to see if the issue goes away. Next... an adjustable trackbar to my axle sit straight.