Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

96 xj 4wd manual overheats and locks out of gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 96 xj 4wd manual overheats and locks out of gear

After checking all 41 (at this time) pages of threads i couldnt find someone who has had this problem.

So i recently purchased a 96 xj sport 4wd 5spd. It runs fine during normal operation but anytime I go riding and kick it into 4wd it starts to overheat. After a while it likes to lock itself out of gear or in gear depending on where its at. I can get it out of gear most of the time or in gear when i turn it off and shift then but if its on and hot it wont go into gear. Any sugestions or thoughts. I am going to check/change the t-case fluid this weekend. but that is my only lead right now. The clutch engages normally no squishyness and it does not overheat under normal operation.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Good Idea to change the fluid in the transfer case, also you may want to check to ensure that the vent for the transfer case is not clogged (mine was horribly clogged). I believe, cant be for sure, that when the fluid heats up and expands if there is no where for the air to escape (due to the clogged vent) this could cause the transfer case to improperly act.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/tra...137925/index5/

The second image is what it will look like and it will be mounted on the passenger side firewall near the trans dipstick (not sure if your manual will have one of these). Use a pair of pliers to release the red hose clamp and push it further down the hose. The breather valve/filter twists (be gentle it takes a while to loosen it to remove) out of the hose. I soaked mine in warm soapy water and gently cleaned out both sides using an ear swab. before reinstalling you should be able to gently breathe air through the filter. Even better you could install a new valve as the poster in the above link did.

hope this helps.
cpefy3
Old 11-20-2013, 10:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Originally Posted by BlackBeastie
After checking all 41 (at this time) pages of threads i couldnt find someone who has had this problem.

So i recently purchased a 96 xj sport 4wd 5spd. It runs fine during normal operation but anytime I go riding and kick it into 4wd it starts to overheat. After a while it likes to lock itself out of gear or in gear depending on where its at. I can get it out of gear most of the time or in gear when i turn it off and shift then but if its on and hot it wont go into gear. Any sugestions or thoughts. I am going to check/change the t-case fluid this weekend. but that is my only lead right now. The clutch engages normally no squishyness and it does not overheat under normal operation.
How hot is it getting since you say that it's over heating? I would take care of the over heating problem first. Usually if it start to over heat while wheeling at slow speeds you fan clutch need to be looked at. Also you should do a complete cooling system flush.

Last edited by RTorrez1; 11-20-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

Is your engine overheating? I am sorry if I misunderstood, I thought you were referring to your Transfer Case (although I am not sure how you would know if it was getting too hot). As the previous poster mentioned, I would start by checking the fan clutch as well as ensuring that the auxiliary fan (if equipped) is operational if you are overheating at slower speeds. Sorry for the misunderstanding

cpefy3
Old 11-21-2013, 06:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Are tires same size front and rear ?
Old 11-21-2013, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tires.... yes are both the same size 31x10.5x15
Im not sure if it overheats at transfer case or engin all i know is that it spikes quickly from about 150-200 to just shy of Red (cant remember what temp that line is at. The aux fan (elecrtical fan to my knowledge is not functioning so i will take a look at that as well as at the potential clog in the transfer case. I am planning on digging into this problem this weekend so i will let you all know. Thanks for the tips
Old 11-21-2013, 03:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Sounds like clutch fan aint healthy either.