Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

96 sport with wierd electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 96 sport with wierd electrical problem

My 96 sport has a electrical problem I can't figure out. The tail lights will work if I pull the **** out a little. If I pull it to the running lights position I lose all the running lights. If I pull the **** to the headlight position, the headlights work but no running lights. Thought it was a bad light switch so i tore the dash apart and replaced it with a new one and I have the same problem. I got another switch with the pull **** from a bone yard thinking the end of the rod was worn out but still the same problem. This also effects the dashboard lights and the buzzer.
The blinker, hazard lights all work fine. Any thoughts on what could be the problem?
Today I was able to use a ohm meter and found that the three headlight switches I have all break contact before they are in the proper position. Is there a special way to install the plunger into the switch? It seems that if it went in about a 1/4 in more then the contact would line up with the running light and head light settings respectively

Last edited by bobcaff41; 01-03-2014 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Headlight Switch Plunger