Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

96 Gauge/Instrument Cluster NOT WORKING

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 10:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Default 96 Gauge/Instrument Cluster NOT WORKING

I've read all the threads on this question that I can find on this and other forums and the issue is either not applicable or was never answered on the thread, so here I am posting a question that has been asked multiple times previously.

I just got another 96 xj. This one is completely stock and appears to have no modifications done to it whatsoever. Unfortunately, the gauges do not work at all. I get none of the notifications on the left side and none of the idiot lights, speedometer, or gas gauge work. I do get blinkers and high beam lights, however.

Can someone direct me to a solution or the appropriate steps for trouble shooting? I will add that I swapped the gauges with a spare set I have that were working when I pulled them so I know the unit itself is not the issue. Also, I have replaced the #17 fuse and while it was not blown, there was corrosion on the fuse itself previously. I believe I have remedied any corrosion that may have been on the fuse box connectors, but don't know how to confirm with a voltmeter. Any insights?

I could really use some help here as electrical systems are far from my cup o' tea.

Thanks again all,
s
Old 02-21-2017, 10:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoops. Well after writing this, I took my fancy light probe deal-y-bobber to check the #17 fuse and just pressing on one of the prongs got the whole thing working. I guess I didn't get the corrosion part handled sufficiently.

The Electrical system really isn't my specialty.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Engine: 4.0

I was just going to suggest a fuse. Glad you got it worked out.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

That was quick! Nice job!

Good you changed that fuse out with a new one. It could of also been a separated fuseable link internally in the fuse.