Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

96 Cherokee xj headlamp housing

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Default 96 Cherokee xj headlamp housing

Hey everyone,
I've tried looking for the answer and couldnt find the answer anywhere. A year ago my hood bellcrank rusted so I couldn't open the hood so I had to remove the headlight assembly to get to the bolts to remove the hood catches. Now a year later I go to put everything back together and the headlamp assembly is loose. I assume that the two adjustment screws secure the metal headlamp housing, which I did. However, I do not know how the adjustment spring goes on. I take it the spring and 2 adjusment screws are the only things securing the headlamp housing. Any help or pictures of how the spring goes on would be a great help. Thank you all! Btw I have a 96 xj sport
Old 10-01-2010, 10:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip

there are 2 little plastic tabs, one for each bolt that snap into the body. make sure the 2 clips on the plastic piece is not broken and the screws are secure in the metal housing. you probably broke one of the plastic fingers off the plastic piece
Old 10-01-2010, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
there are 2 little plastic tabs, one for each bolt that snap into the body. make sure the 2 clips on the plastic piece is not broken and the screws are secure in the metal housing. you probably broke one of the plastic fingers off the plastic piece
I checked the plastic tabs and they were all fine. I notice the bolts have a space for the metal housing to slide in, but it is not very tight. The bolts and housing are in good condition. Any idea where the adjustment spring would go?
Old 10-01-2010, 08:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

there is a small hole the spring end goes in (the fiberglass part) and the other end of the spring clips on the metal housing. it will go on the opposite side of the screws on the corner.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by JeepingDan
there is a small hole the spring end goes in (the fiberglass part) and the other end of the spring clips on the metal housing. it will go on the opposite side of the screws on the corner.
So the other end just clips on the lower end of the round part of the housing?