Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

96 cherokee sport won't start

Old 04-03-2015, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 96 cherokee sport won't start

So a few days ago my jeep wouldn't start up. It would crank but wouldn't fully turn over. I thought maybe a jump would work and get it running, but I was wrong. So I did a little research and saw that it may be issues with my starter. I took the starter out and took it to O'Reillys and bought a new one. When I got back home and installed the new starter the jeep still wouldn't turn over, in fact now it just makes a constant clicking noise. I took the part back and had them test it and it ran 100%. I also had them test my battery and it was also fine. When I got back to the house and reinstalled the starter and battery i noticed now my lights on the inside were dim and the radio won't come on. I also forgot to mention I replaced my alternator a month ago because the old one went out on me. I made sure all my connections were tight and still nothing. I'm completely stuck right now, what should I do and where should I begin?
Old 04-03-2015, 10:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

How did they check the battery? Did you clean the battery connections? Are the connections at the starter tight? Are the cables full of corrosion?
Old 04-03-2015, 11:42 AM

They had to charge it for an hour. I'm not sure exactly how they tested it. But the battery didn't have any corrosion. I made sure by using a wire brush. But the wires connecting to the starter did have oil on them. I tried to clean them off
Old 04-03-2015, 12:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Sounds like maybe a loose ground or something draining the battery... battery drain may be the reason your alt went out... i had a bad fuse under the hood... it was a 20amp... replaced it and everything works better now
Old 04-03-2015, 01:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

I would start by cleaning ALL of the grounding points. They. Include the battery terminals, battery to fender, oil dipstick, rear of head to fire wall, ignition coil and clean the connections to the starter. Also if you have a lot of oil covering your starter make sure to clean the mounting area between the stater and the engine block since that is also a ground. If that doesn't help I would have the alternator checked out. Just because you replaced it a month ago doesn't mean you didn't get a bad one. Hope this helps. keep us updated.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:07 PM

Okay so I cleaned off all the grounds like you suggested and the jeep is actually cranking now, but it still won't turn over.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:08 PM

Also when I try to press the Gas it doesn't do anything. Before that would help but now it doesnt