Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'96 Cherokee engine problems - stalling

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 02:32 PM
dml

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default '96 Cherokee engine problems - stalling

Hi, I have been driving a Cherokee '96 4.0 for about 5 years.
Greatest car, but the recent 6 months the engine has becoming more and more iregular.
Here is the problem: when idle the engine runs pretty good and stable, but when I accelerate fast then it often stalls, like it wont take the gas. However, when I accelerate smoothly/slowly then it accepts the gas and runs fine.
And now the big mystery: this only happens sometimes. Often I can accelerate fast and it runs fine, but next day when I accelerate fast then it just completely stalls. Once in a while this also happens when idle, and the engine almost dies, but it mostly only happens when I accelerate fast.
This has nothing to do with temperature or weather conditions. Regardless if the engine is hot or cold, or if it is humid or dry, same problem.
I changed the sparkplugs and wires, but it didn't help anything.
I took it to an authorized mechanic who told me that they couldnt find anything wrong.

Anybody experienced the same problem?? or know of a fix?
Old 12-16-2010, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4 liter

I had a similar problem on my 96 auto.
I replaced the cleaned the throttle body and IAC thouroughly, and changed the fuel filter. Solved half the problem.

Ended up replacing the TPS and it fixed the other half.

Seems the TPS was randomly acting up. It worked fine at smooth acceleration, but kind of "lagged" when I bursted teh throttle.
Also couldn't hurt to use some Seafoam in the tank, TB via brake booster or both.

On mine I did Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner (dealer $6-7) through the TB and my new personal favorite NG44K in the tank. Smoothed out everything, better pickup, no smokeshow like seafoam in the TB lol. Seems iI got back a couple mpgs too.

Don't know if this is your problem, but if you DO replace the TPS, stick with OEM from the stealership if you can, or borg warner if you must.
On mine it didn't like the Master pro line from schuck's or the Bosch or Borg Warner (can't remember now) I tried first. Had to cough up an extra 20 for the OEM from the stealership.

Let us know how it turns out!

Last edited by Solomon7; 12-16-2010 at 02:50 PM.