Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

96 cherokee country no turn signals

Old 10-02-2010, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 96 cherokee country no turn signals

96 cherokee country no turn signals,, changed multi switch on steering wheel, all new fuses, and 'blue' combination 4-way//turn signal flasher mine doesnt have seperate flashers all runs through 1, though none were blown, when they went out it caused my stereo to have 2 constant 12+ insted of just pink having constant, now the purple/white 12+ switched wire has a constant 12+ running through itall the time radio is naow basicly acts liek its straight wired, any ideas?? ive done pulled both fuse panels out n looked for burned or any signs on the back where wires plug in back, and pulled entire guts outa dash cant find any signs its got me lost tryin to save the $95 and hour labor charge at the jeep dealership
Old 10-02-2010, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

sounds to me like you recently installed the radio. and you have to be careful not to get those wires mixed up, because most alarms run through the radio, and when an alarm goes off the signals usually flash....

switches are like valves and wires are the pluming.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:58 AM

Jeep doesnt have an alarm but this is what happined i randomly check for loose wires on my amplifier and subs in the back of my jeep,, and i was checking my remote/turnon wire and it was loose,, and 1 single strand brushed against the amp ground ...it sparked and thats when i lost the turn signals, and 12+ switched became 12+ constant... i gutted the dash trying to trace radio wire harness ,,but cant trace entire length because the roll of wires go up over the dash cluster.. i removed the dash cluster and still cant access a part of em... i mean surley they run into the fuse block thats down at ur feet bolted to ur firewall?? i removed that and turned it around so i could see the back where the wires plug in to the back and dont see any signs of melted/ burned or broken wires?? everywhere i take it they are saying that i have 2 flashers 1 red and 1 blue but i only have 1 and its blue plugged in on cluster fuse block under righthand side of steering wheel, there is an empty socket beside the blue flasher,, and its red and there is power goin to that socket but never had anything plugged in there in the past, the fuse block at ur left foot on firewall has nothing but ur standard buss fuses plugged in... nothing else has ever been plugged in except the door buzzer.i dont know what to do its starting to cold in South Carolina and dont wana have to roll down the window to signal a lane change lol

Last edited by jakesicon; 10-03-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:01 AM

i believe if i can find out where the purple/white 12+ switched runs to i can figure out the problem if i can just find out where it runs between the radio and the fuse block