Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

95' XJ Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 95' XJ Help

Hello, brand new member here and to the jeep world, and I have a few questions.

I bought my XJ with the manifold in need of a weld. I removed one of the fans, Power steering pump, throttle body, Intake manifold and all else that it entails. After I had the manifold welded I reassembled everything and tried to start it, no avail. Through the process I cracked and broke practically all of what I think may be the vacuum lines to and from the Air Intake. it took almost virtually no effort to break them( mind you I didnt want to), which I accredit working in an unheated garage during the winter.

My first questions is; Are those small plastic tubes actually the Vacuum lines?

2. Will they prevent the jeep from starting?

3. I found a way-ward wire harness near the throttle body, with no destination, what is its function?

Any help would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails 95' XJ Help-imag0108.jpg   95' XJ Help-imag0110.jpg   95' XJ Help-imag0111.jpg  
Old 02-04-2013, 11:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Extra plug- do you have the MAP sensor on the throttle body? I forget what year they moved them.

Vacuum lines- yep, those brittle plastic tubes are vacuum lines. Engine should start without them but will not run right. Best to replace them.

Fitting on top of the valve cover is the CCV (crankcase ventilation) system. Same idea as PCV. One tube goes to the airbox to draw clean air in, the other to manifold vacuum to suck fumes out.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Map sensor is ur plug I think.
Ur vacuum hoses that u have pictured got to each other. CCV valve same as PCV from what I am told. Good luck
Old 02-05-2013, 10:24 AM

The MAP sensor, IAC, and the Throttle position sensor are there and plugged in. If you look in the picture, all the wire harness's bend naturally toward where they are supposed to plugged in at. Except for this one. There isn't a plug for this harness anywhere in that vicinity in the engine compartment. I also went to my buddy's who has a ZJ with same engine and he didnt even have that harness. But thanks for the help with the vacuum lines.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:44 PM

I looked at the wire harness and its part number was 76614. I did an internet search for it and It came up dry. Any possible info regarding that?