Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

95 Turn signals not working, hazards do

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 95 Turn signals not working, hazards do

Hoping for help with a 95 Cherokee SE. Was trying to get instrument panel lights working and in the process knocked out the running lights and turn signals. Found the fuse for the running lights but can't seem to get turn signals to work. The hazard lights work like normal. The fuse panel has sockets for a Hazard Flasher, a Turn Signal Flasher, and fuse slot 8 is for Turn Signal Flasher. There are no Flashers in any of the sockets, and fuse slot 8 only has the upper electrical connection - so it can't be used. Does anyone know where the flasher (or flashers) are located? Thanks
Old 03-16-2015, 06:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Sounds like your switch is going bad. Try replacing the switch. I had the same issue.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

I'm not even sure a '95 fuse panel resembles my '89 but... Here is where you should find the turn signal flashing relay...

Once you've confirmed you have a flasher relay, use a multimeter to confirm that you have +12v to the prong in the red box below...

Old 03-16-2015, 11:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Your signal relay won't be in the fuse box. In a '95, there is a second relay center under the dash above the driver's right knee. The relay in question operates both the hazards and the turn signals, so if one works, then your relay isn't your issue.

I had this exact issue on my '96, and I went through everything from the relay to the signal switch with no good reason for the issue, which was intermittent. I finally tracked it to a corroded fuse socket in the fuse panel on the firewall.

Turn your ignition on, turn your turn signal on, and then get under there and wiggle fuses... This is how I found it, I was tracing the wiring back through from the column trying to find the open circuit. When I hit the fuse with the tester looking for voltage, it jiggled it enough to restore contact and bam, signal relay started clicking away. I don't remember off the top of my head which fuse it was, but I think it's one the owner's manual says my jeep doesn't have...

Good luck, hope you find it! This one can be really annoying.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:28 PM

Crash course, thanks, the flasher is exactly where you indicated. In the process of trying to fix the instrument lights, I mesed up most of the other lights. I got most fixed pretty easily, but had a brain fart with the turn signals. Figured it out last night, was trying them without the key on. Put key in and they are working. Stil have instrument light issues, but at least it is still driveable.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by F1Addict
I'm not even sure a '95 fuse panel resembles my '89 but... Here is where you should find the turn signal flashing relay...

Once you've confirmed you have a flasher relay, use a multimeter to confirm that you have +12v to the prong in the red box below...

Thanks for posting these great pictures, they really help! And I like the gif you made, nicely done!

Maybe you can help me here:
1990 XJ Laredo AX-15.
Turn signals do not work; but hazards do. Reverse lights do work.
Both flasher relays work (Confirmed by testing the turn signal flasher in the hazard flasher).
I measured voltage at the red box of the turn signal and got: 3.41 V
Seems low, what does that mean? And what should I do next?

For now I've been getting by with hand signals, but it's pretty cold here so I'm hoping I can figure this thing out.