Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

95 td limited , help on how to do head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 95 td limited , help on how to do head gasket

hi all i posted this thread a while ago havent had any replies yet, anyway im goint to try an take the head offf and do the gasket and see if head cracked any pointers or help on how to do this would be appriated.

95 cherokee vm diesel,
hi all im new to this. i live in telford, uk. i have my own tree surgery business and just brought my first jeep ( 95 jeep cherokee td limited) and i love it to bits and i have drove a few 4x4's before. i have done a few bits to it but then it needed a few things at once. power steering pump , fuel filter housings etc.. so i decided to buy a spares or repair one( 95 jeep cherokee td limited) take the bits of it then scrap it when im done as it would work out a lot cheaper. i picked up my spares or repair oine today and its' even better than mine one owner no dents or anything. so im thinking of trying to fix it and sell mine. The problem it has is as follows:

6 months ago it started to cough bang spluter etc.. they took it to garge and there was a crack in cylinder head. had brand new one fitter all go for 6 months now it has started all over again it sputters smokes bangs and mis- fires they told me it will need a new head gasket my question is would a head gasket cause these symptroms and if so how easy are they to replace?

many thanks
Old 09-19-2012, 02:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

The first thing you need to do is purchase a Chilton or Hayne's repair manual. Then you can read up on your problem.

Complete diagnosis and repair is too lengthy for this forum.