Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

95 cherokee (police) No Crank

Old 03-09-2015, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation 95 cherokee (police) No Crank

Huge issue right now so ima get right to it and break up best as possible

My Vehicle: 1995 jeep cherokee Police edtion, Auto with the 4.0l 6cyl HO motor with only 112k on all of it

Problem:
No crank, no lights with key in on postion

So far what ive done;
1. installed new battery conisdering mine was almost 5years old
2. jump start to running and may belive that my alternator is going since you use accessiories such as; Ac, radio, blow motor, all lights, even 4x4 engage, when the cooling kicks on voltage drop on inside dash gauge from about 14 to 12ish ( noticable drop but returns back)
3. tried putting in nuetral to no affect

Last but not least i have a basic rough set of 3/8's and 1/4's some wrenchs and other misc tools, i have a multimeter a basic one but it works, and im mechaniacally inclined so what your telling me i should more or less understand it and be able to perform tests as need be but its getting dark so im limited to light.

Thanks in adavance for all your help on this i rely on this car as we all do lol

Last edited by Msbogdanski; 03-09-2015 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

From the no crank - no dash light description, I would lean towards a bad ignition switch, but have you checked your fuses and/or refreshed your grounds yet?

When you turn the ignition to start, can you hear the starter replay clicking? If not, try switching it with another relay. If you still aren't hearing it click, then it probably means it is not getting a signal from the ignition switch. Bad switch or wiring issue.

Of course, I've only been wrenching on these things for a little over a year, so I could be way wrong, but I'd absolutely start with checking your fuses & replay, and refreshing your grounds.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by HEAP of JEEP
From the no crank - no dash light description, I would lean towards a bad ignition switch, but have you checked your fuses and/or refreshed your grounds yet?

When you turn the ignition to start, can you hear the starter replay clicking? If not, try switching it with another relay. If you still aren't hearing it click, then it probably means it is not getting a signal from the ignition switch. Bad switch or wiring issue.

Of course, I've only been wrenching on these things for a little over a year, so I could be way wrong, but I'd absolutely start with checking your fuses & replay, and refreshing your grounds.
i get what your saying ya i swaped the starter relay with my A/C shaking the starter relay i could her what sounded like some broken inside, What i dont understand is why when i jump it from my fucus that givien a minute the jeep starts right up
Old 03-09-2015, 06:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by Msbogdanski
i get what your saying ya i swaped the starter relay with my A/C shaking the starter relay i could her what sounded like some broken inside, What i dont understand is why when i jump it from my fucus that givien a minute the jeep starts right up

Hmmm... guess I didn't get that from your first post. So, forget what I said about the ignition switch.

First thing I'd do... refresh your grounds... always good to do when dealing with electrical issues. Second, I'd really suspect your battery cables. Clean the connections on both ends, but I'd also grab your multimeter and check for continuity in your cables.

When you do get it started from the jump, is your alternate charging correctly? right around 14 volts?
Old 03-09-2015, 06:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993 & 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee

Bad starter? Maybe with the extra power from a second source it's enough to get that bad boy moving. Still does not explain the no dash lights when the key is turned.

Max
Old 03-09-2015, 07:03 PM

I did replace the the bettery terminals about 3 months ago since olds one were basiilly trash did cheack drops seemed to be clean for the most part no rust or corrsion
when i did the the alternator test for my battery read 12.7v on its own running sat about at 14 but slowly droped .01 volts every 2-3 seconds

@ZJMAX
thats for the life what i cant understand, if it made no crank but lights cool its a starter maybe alternator, but nothing until a jump from a car to boost the battery up to 15v doesnt make sence unless i bought a **** battery (wolly world) since im on a budget after the 120 ignition coil on the focus
Old 03-09-2015, 07:12 PM

im run to jeep maybe drive it back but im run a few tests for it so you guys have uptodate specs and voltage

tests:
1 battery on own
2 with jumper cables
3 running on own

anything else let me know just shoot me an email at bogdanskimatt@gmail.com ill keep my phone with me and double check often should you guys have any other suggestions while im there
Old 03-09-2015, 07:16 PM

Year: 1998

I did replace the the bettery terminals about 3 months ago since olds one were basiilly trash did cheack drops seemed to be clean for the most part no rust or corrsion
when i did the the alternator test for my battery read 12.7v on its own running sat about at 14 but slowly droped .01 volts every 2-3 seconds

@ZJMAX
thats for the life what i cant understand, if it made no crank but lights cool its a starter maybe alternator, but nothing until a jump from a car to boost the battery up to 15v doesnt make sence unless i bought a **** battery (wolly world) since im on a budget after the 120 ignition coil on the focus
First, I bought a 96 from a guy a while back that swore up and down that the whole car needed to be rewired. Turned out that when he replaced the terminals 6 months earlier he did a crap job. I pulled them offer replaced them, and to the best of my knowledge that jeep is still running perfectly.

Secondly, my 98 used to have an intermittent alternator. Some days it would work fine others it decided not to. Towards the end it would work fine for about 20 minutes and then stop charging.

Moral of my story is I'd probably first check grounds and clean them as previously stated. I'd also go ahead and check those terminals again. Clean the wires and retighten them down. Then I'd just go ahead an change out the alternator (I've had to replace this on nearly every car i've bought used).
Old 03-09-2015, 07:52 PM

After testing battery holds at 12.5 no matter what but when I play with the ac it flicks the lights
Old 03-09-2015, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rcrivolio
First, I bought a 96 from a guy a while back that swore up and down that the whole car needed to be rewired. Turned out that when he replaced the terminals 6 months earlier he did a crap job. I pulled them offer replaced them, and to the best of my knowledge that jeep is still running perfectly.

Secondly, my 98 used to have an intermittent alternator. Some days it would work fine others it decided not to. Towards the end it would work fine for about 20 minutes and then stop charging.

Moral of my story is I'd probably first check grounds and clean them as previously stated. I'd also go ahead and check those terminals again. Clean the wires and retighten them down. Then I'd just go ahead an change out the alternator (I've had to replace this on nearly every car i've bought used).
Right now you are my idol lol, to say the least ur story of the battery terminals saved me 120$, turns out 1 both of my terminals were loose for the wire connection, 2 my dad messed with the wires in whitch my dome light lit up so we pulled em around and turns just a loose connection, also explains why the voltage reading stayed at 12.5 in whitch a battery stays at if alternator was bad it would've dropped.. anyways moral of my story think logically front to back of how all of it plays together.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:35 AM

Year: 1998

Right now you are my idol lol, to say the least ur story of the battery terminals saved me 120$, turns out 1 both of my terminals were loose for the wire connection, 2 my dad messed with the wires in whitch my dome light lit up so we pulled em around and turns just a loose connection, also explains why the voltage reading stayed at 12.5 in whitch a battery stays at if alternator was bad it would've dropped.. anyways moral of my story think logically front to back of how all of it plays together.
Glad I could help. Its a beautiful thing when it turns out to be something simple.