Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

94 Fuel Sending unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 94 Fuel Sending unit

I got another XJ about a year ago after selling my other one years back. I put some work into it and got it running again. It wasn't getting fuel so I changed some fuel lines, filter, and pump only to find that the sending unit has a bad ground and that was my problem. I've pulled it out and sanded down the connections and cleaned them but it only seems to work temporarily. My fuel gauge doesn't work correctly so I was just going to throw a new sending unit in it and call it a day but I can not for the life of me track one down online or in any auto parts stores. This is the sending unit that mounts in the front of the gas tank (facing towards the front of the vehicle) and has a bend in it. NOT the top mount. I work a about 6-7 days a week and have been trying to get to a junk yard to look for one but haven't been able too. Any suggestions on where I could get one? Online or from anyone?

Thanks in advance its good to be wrenching on an XJ again,
Tyler
Old 05-06-2017, 02:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

94' sending units are not manufactured anymore. Used is your only choice. Ebay find or wrecking yard.

If google up " sending unit repair" you can figure out how to fix it. I fixed an old 77' chevy one once with googles help.

I should add some of the earlier years are the same style but Jeep decided to make them with different ohms resistance values. 94', 95', 96' were made this way. If you know the ohms value of yours you might be able to piece something together.

Last edited by Oswalla; 05-06-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Wow. That's weird! I just did a search and found the same. They seem to be made of unobtainium.

Your timing is bad. I just sent the whole fuel pump assembly from my 94 to another forum member.

You might want to try one of those online parts searches that check junkyards for you.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:06 PM

Alright I will just have to sand the connections a little better and try to fix the broken fuel gauge, I understand how it works its just getting the gauge to match what the level actually is. Now that I think of it it might be easier to do with a full tank as a starting point.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:16 PM

I forgot about those online junkyard website haha, Just found a few I called on. Thanks!
Old 05-06-2017, 06:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I've never tried onlyjeepparts.com , but their page looks good.