Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

94 Cherokee Sport Will Not Start, Any Help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Registered Users

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 94 Cherokee Sport Will Not Start, Any Help?

Ok so its a 94 Jeep cherokee sport 2 door with 244000 miles on it. So heres the story. This last summer i drove it all around my uncles place, ran strong, real strong. Had power out the ***. Spin tires no problem, started every time with no hesitation. So then i let it sit for 6 months, tried to start it, no luck, jump started it, started right up. Shut her off, and took the radio out to sell it to a friend. I let it sit for another 3 months, i swap out the radiator and put a new one in it, because the old one had a hole. i go back to start it no luck, jumper box wont start it, jumper cables on 3 diff vechicles wont start it. I take off the starter and put another one in it from the yard, my uncle owns a salvage yard. I have no idea why it wont start, it wont even try to turn over, When go to start it the guages all work, the fuel is 1/4 full, the battery meter goes to 14, the engine temp light goes the whole way to the right and back down, which idk if thats normal or not. I hear a faint "clicking" but thats it. I need to get this thing on the road in the next week or two. I'm 17 years old. I have access or own every tool possible needed to fix it, i just dont know how. Im selling my 2002 Chevy Trailblazer with 78000 miles on it and i need a vechicle to drive. I'm on a mission bc my mom thinks im making a big mistake selling this new vechicle to drive this "old junker" around. But she don't understand, its a jeep, and nothing runs like a jeep. Guys please help me. By the way the radio is still out of the jeep, i dont know if this matters.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:54 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

Start off simple, take the battery and have it tested. If it's been sitting for that long without charging it could be bad. While it's off clean and inspect the battery wires and ground. Make sure you are getting good contact. If that's the same gas in it from last year, you will want to address that when you get fire.

Go from there.

Last edited by EvilBlackXJ; 03-01-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:16 PM

Location: tan house white shutters key's under the flower pot
Year: 1996

yep, start with the battery and connections. if the battery is that dead jumping doesn't always work.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by EvilBlackXJ
Start off simple, take the battery and have it tested. If it's been sitting for that long without charging it could be bad. While it's off clean and inspect the battery wires and ground. Make sure you are getting good contact. If that's the same gas in it from last year, you will want to address that when you get fire.

Go from there.

Ok, even though the battery gauge reads 14? So are you saying the battery needs to be good even though it reads its getting enough power? I used a wire brush to clean the terminals off. The gas is fresh, it sat there empty before. Are there any security systems that would need reset. Thank you
Old 03-03-2009, 08:58 AM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by jpdocdave
yep, start with the battery and connections. if the battery is that dead jumping doesn't always work.
i looked at connections and i looked at grounds, they all look ok
Old 03-03-2009, 09:34 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

Well, if it's not even turning over, and you have power, try jumping the starter solenoid. It could be bad.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:38 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by Cherokee 4.0
i looked at connections and i looked at grounds, they all look ok
my friend has this problem sometimes and it seems the alarm system is the culprit in his case but we don't know how to disconnect it as of yet. Sorry couldn't help you more...Tj
Old 03-03-2009, 11:46 AM

if what you are saying is when you turn the key to start, you get nothing, look at neutral saftey switch or clutch pedal switch.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by EvilBlackXJ
Well, if it's not even turning over, and you have power, try jumping the starter solenoid. It could be bad.
No, its not even turning over. It doesnt make sense at all. I would try jumping the stater solenoid, but i really don't think its the problem, because i already put another one in it and its still the same deal as before
Old 03-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by Throttle Jockey
if what you are saying is when you turn the key to start, you get nothing, look at neutral saftey switch or clutch pedal switch.
When i turn the key to start it i get nothing, no turnover, nothing. I may hear a faint click or something but thats it, and it's an automatic. I put it in neutral and tried to start it and still same deal. I put it in neutral in the transfer case for 4WD, still nothing. It doesnt make sense, it's stomping people who have looked at it, but there not familar with jeeps in peticular.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by TrekkerJmm
my friend has this problem sometimes and it seems the alarm system is the culprit in his case but we don't know how to disconnect it as of yet. Sorry couldn't help you more...Tj
Ok so there is some type of alarm system on these? I have looked into that but i only saw things with the alarm system on the GRAND Cherokees, and youd have to put your key in the driver side door and hop on one foot and then touch your head or something silly like that. What year is his?
Old 03-03-2009, 12:25 PM

i can tell you're frustracted. there are so many things that can cause this, you have to rule them out one by one, you know the bat is good and the starter is also, i dont completely recall the type of ignition switch in these but if the are similar to chevy,(mounted on top of the column under the dash) i have seen the move. (they are adjustable) you will get dash lights and all accessories but wont engage the starter. use a test light to see if the start wire on the starter is energizing. if not i would look at the ignition switch.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:35 PM

after some quick research, xj does use GM style ignition switch, a rod from the lock cylinder runs down the top of the column and slides the ignition switch to the various positions. tryin to help, just a thought.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:22 PM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by Cherokee 4.0
Ok so there is some type of alarm system on these? I have looked into that but i only saw things with the alarm system on the GRAND Cherokees, and youd have to put your key in the driver side door and hop on one foot and then touch your head or something silly like that. What year is his?
My friends is an 89 and what he does is disconnect the batter cables and touch them together and it will start. I don't know if your having the same problem but his does the exact same thing with the click only. We replaced the starter and sol plus new cables and it still wouldn't start until he put the cables together. Look under the steering wheel for an alarm...Tj
Old 03-03-2009, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6 HO

Sounds like a bad neutral safety switch

Quick Reply: 94 Cherokee Sport Will Not Start, Any Help?