Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

94 cherkkee wont stay running

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question 94 cherkkee wont stay running

i i have a 94 jeep cherokee and it starts fine but it will only run for about a minute and a half and it shuts off and then you have to let it sit for like 5-10 min and then it will start again.but if you dont let it sit it wont start just turn over and turn over any answers. i was running it all day tues and it was fine it just started happening yesterday i put a can of hear in it and it ran for about a half on hour but then it shut off again and wouldnt start at all.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:53 AM

no one at all has had this problem? also the battery is like brand new all it does is keep turning over

Last edited by superxj; 01-07-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Engine: stock

may be your tps, mine did the same but would fire up straight away... try and do a search ,as this sort of problem comes up heaps........https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/94-...-stalls-27813/ type idles in the search bit thinging, and bobs ya uncle......or go to bottem of the page you are reading and there are 4 or 5 subjects on same topic............good luck mate.....

Last edited by cantab27; 01-07-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:45 AM

i put a new fuel filter on it and it was running fine but i didnt drive it long enough to see if it dies but yerterday before i changed the filter (which was like 10 years old) it ran for a half an hour before it died then it didnt start for like 10 min then it died again about quarter of a mile down the road but started right back up but died again again a half mile down the roan and wouldnt start again.

in auto i changed the filter and to test the pump i put the fuel hose from the pump into a gallon jug and turned the key on and it had about the pressure of a slower bubbler(drinking fountain) and it would cut out and then go on again and cut out again but i didnt know if that had anything to do with the vaccume of the motor when everything is hooked up?
Old 01-08-2010, 01:45 PM

did you try the search thing....
Old 01-08-2010, 01:55 PM

this is one of many that came up https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/hel...-highway-5970/ good way to start trouble shooting ....
Old 01-08-2010, 09:49 PM

Thumbs up

i have a 94 jeep cherokee and it starts fine but it will only run for about a minute and a half and it shuts off and then you have to let it sit for like 5-10 min and then it will start again.but if you dont let it sit it wont start just turn over and turn over any answers. i was running it all day tues and it was fine it just started happening yesterday i put a can of hear in it and it ran for about a half on hour but then it shut off again and wouldnt start at all.

i put a new fuel filter on it and it was running fine for an hour and a half out on the ice with out any problems and drove it home but yerterday before i changed the filter (which was like 10 years old) it ran for a half an hour before it died then it didnt start for like 10 min then it died again about quarter of a mile down the road but started right back up but died again again a half mile down the roan and wouldnt start again.

in auto i changed the filter and to test the pump i put the fuel hose from the pump into a gallon jug and turned the key on and it had about the pressure of a slower bubbler(drinking fountain) and it would cut out and then go on again and cut out again but i didnt know if that had anything to do with the vaccume of the motor when everything is hooked up?