Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'93 XJ-Replace head gasket or use donor motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default '93 XJ-Replace head gasket or use donor motor

My in-laws are giving me a '93 XJ that ran good untill recently and has a (suspected) blown head gasket. I am in the military and stationed 1k miles from home, but going home soon for a couple weeks and I would like to get it fixed. It is bone stock, and has been in the family since new. Suspension mods will follow very soon, but first things first I need to fix the motor. I am capable of replacing the hg, but have found a wrecked 2WD 1995 cherokee with a good motor/tranny/rear/etc for $500. Does that sound like a good deal? I figure a motor swap wont take a whole lot more time than doing a hg. Im also not sure if I will find that the head is damaged or who knows what when I get in there. What do you think, tear it down to replace the gasket (and see if/how much more other work it needs) or go straight to the swap. I would rather save the money for suspension goodies, but I will only have a limited amount of time to work on it. How compatable is everything from the 2WD '95? I assume both jeeps have either the D35 or C8.25 rear and would be interchangeable. What about the tranny, Is the difference for a 4WD with a T-case all in the driveshaft length or are the trannys any different? First post here but I have lurked and serached a lot and found a ton of really good info. Love the site so far. Thanks in advance for any help. Oh yeah also, anyone had any luck with BARS stop leak? I don't know how bad the motor is now but if I get the donor I may as wall give that stuff a shot to run it like it is for now if it seems to help. This is just going to be a beater/WW and hunting rig.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 i6, 307 injectors

I would say pick up the other one for the 500 swap motors and that way u can build the other one the way u wont to and part out everything else