Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

93 xj Rear noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default 93 xj Rear noise

Today when me and my wife drove to get something to eat my driver rear tire makes a very noticeable wump noise and there is a new vibration to the car.

Now I have no idea what this is, and I leave tomorrow for about a month and my wife drives this everyday...so id like to figure out atleast somewhat and not have my wife screwed over by a mechanic when I literally cant fix it.

The noise disappears somewhat when accelerating but gets much more noticeable when rolling or coasting to a stop or simply when not pushing on the gas.

I think wheel bearing but have only dealt with something like that once prior on a front wheel drive car.

EDIT:
turns out someone literally loosened all but 1 lug on all 4 tires the rear driver was just the worst. Literally could have almost hand unscrewed all off, this isnt the first time someone has done this to my vehicles as my others I dont drive as often were the same.........liam nieson time(i will find them and I will kill them)

Last edited by SILENT_SOUL; 01-31-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Good thing you found what it was before you lost a tire. If you have nice tires and wheels you may want to buy some locks sounds like one of two things. 1) someone was trying to steal them. 2) You may have pissed someone off and they were trying to get back at you. When you are gone have your wife to keep an eye on them just in case it happens again. Good Luck!
Old 01-31-2013, 07:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

That is downright criminal! In fact, it can be construed as attempted murder!

You have to notify the local PD. It's not much but it's the first right thing to do. I understand the desire to take matters into your own hands but two wrongs don't make it right and, well, you have too much to lose if your revenge were to backfire on you.

There are a number of things you can do to protect your life, the lives of those you love and your property. My gut reaction would be to try and capture the perpetrator on video. I know it's an expense of time and money but would it be possible to install motion triggered lights and a security camera setup overlooking your parking spot?

Good luck, stay smart and be safe.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:53 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 HO

I wouldnt actually...well ok I dont think Id honestly shoot someone messing with a vehicle. My wife is very smart and Im going to have her check the tires periodically.

Im pretty certain its someone I pissed off as people who fly through our apartment complex like a race track tend to have very non kid friendly words yelled at them by me...so I suppose I probably did **** someone off.

Regardless it could be construed as attempted murder but idk how we would record someone messing with the vehicles at this time without simply buying a video camera and setting it in our apartment window.

My wife has the ak lock cocked and ready to rock and is a great shot with it, so maybe if someone notices im gone when I come back she will have backed a "non permit deer".........
Old 02-01-2013, 10:36 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0l

lol calling the police because someone loosened ur lug nuts? thats the ***** est thing iv ever heard, what are they gona do? stake out and watch to see if the person comes back, llol they have more important **** to do,
Old 02-03-2013, 11:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

MountiansRcool,

Be realistic and please think more before reacting. I don't want to get caught up in a rant but your reaction deserves a reasonable reply. I hope our moderators approve as this is in no way a political agenda statement - it is only bordering on a wake up call for Americans who seem to have lost their way in maintaining themselves as the civilized peoples of the greatest nation on earth.

Why would you want to allow or cause a dangerous situation to escalate on your home turf - and especially where children may be exposed to additional risks? Isn't it obvious that the person responsible for loosening lug nuts is not thinking clearly and is a danger to others as well as themselves? Don't they need guidance rather than violence? My suggestions are simply a means toward that end. Believe me when I tell you that I also would have chosen the wrong reaction once-upon-a-time but I am becoming disappointed with the way we all treat each other and wish to contribute to positive changes for the greater good. Do you know or remember the golden rule? Well, brother this is how it works. I'll explain my answer to you - if you're willing to hear me out...

Simply filing the complaint makes it a "matter of record". If record of the situation is established with the local PD then, if/when it occurs again and/or the responsible person is found, charges can be filed which could lead to criminal charges (as-deserved) and/or a civil lawsuit pursued (which is at the option of the offended party).

This is how intelligent, respectful/respectable, responsible and civilized people function in modern societies. They also use spell checkers AND proofread their entries to rational dialogues as a matter of self-respect and respect for those who wish to encourage better behavior among our citizenry.

Thank You for your attention. Now pay it forward.