Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

93 Cherokee. HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L6
Default 93 Cherokee. HELP!!

Me being the dumbass I am, was at work the day. I left my key on, and went to jump it with a jumppack. The pack was dead, so i grabbed a backup one. Of course, I wasnt paying attention in the hooking up of the terminals cause I was distracted by conversation with a co-worker. Kick me in the nuts right here. After my dumbass move, i hooked up the pack....the right way. Started right up, removed the power and it dies. In the whole getting a new battery thing (mine was shot anyways), it did cross my mind that i did in fact...fry the alternator. Driving home from work after putting a new battery indeed told me my alternator was shot. But to add to that...I popped the fuse that runs my amplifiers for my system. But even worse, my gas gauge, my speedometer, and my odometer doesnt work. Pretty much the whole cluster assembly. Is there a single fuse for each "component" or is there a single cluster fuse, and where is it located. There is a diagram under the hood, but there isnt one for any of the problems im having. And the one under the dash doesnt have a cover, so no diagram ]=

Old 06-18-2009, 09:49 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 93
Engine: 4.0

there is one fuse for the whole cluster its 7.5 amps im not sure in what slot cause i dont have a cover either, but for a temp fix you can put a paper clip in there, i ran like that for a few days. when i blew my fuse everything went to the low side except for the temp sensor, it went to the high side, but yeah it was just that single fuse for the whole cluster. what i had to do to find the fuse was take out my multimeter and test the fuses till i found the bad one.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 Liter L6

I blew that one before... fuse is 7.5 amps in slot # 17... should be violet in color. Hope that helps you
Old 06-19-2009, 11:38 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: straight 6

if its not the fuse at the dash theres some fuseable links comming off the starter relay might check those but my dad did the same thing on his nissan centra hooked a jump box up backwards and he ended up replacing the whole ECU hopefully not the case here

and definatly DO NOT USE a paper clip as a quick fix inless you want a HUGE fix later if theres a short in something which could definatly fry something else or perhaps start a fire or even fry your ECU if you need a quick fix quickly pull over to a gas station and get a multi-pack of fuses and whahoo fixed for a hole 4dollars

Last edited by thesundancekid; 06-19-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

X2 nothing in a fuse holder but the proper fuse.

Either that or have the Fire Department on speed-dial.

Oh, and carry your video camera, with a charged battery in it. Post the fire on YouTube for all to enjoy.

You might even be on "Destroyed In Seconds".
Old 06-20-2009, 10:05 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 93
Engine: 4.0

lmao you guys are funny i admit that i was wrong for running with a paper clip for a few days but in a pinch it will work and get you to where you need to go, i had went to a gas station to get fuses but they didnt have any but they had paper clips so i used that since thats all that they had that i could use, but if you have to use a paper clip in case of emergency, it works, and in your case since you kno what the cause was of the failure you should be pretty safe just like me i knew why my fuse failed thats why i knew i was safe with the paper clip
Old 06-20-2009, 12:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 Liter L6

The starter relay design went out when chrysler took over and everything is done by fuses rather than the old painful fusible links. That would make everything newer than a 90 should be the chrysler systems and better electrical designs.