Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

92 XJ Misfire at 2k Can't Figure Out

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default 92 XJ Misfire at 2k Can't Figure Out

Hi I bought a 92 XJ over 1 year ago and have been working on it ever since. I have had the engine built and rebuilt and several mechanics have taken the vehicle and given it back unable to solve the issue. I have also done enough reading online to make my head hurt.

The Jeep currently runs great at idle but when pressing the pedal to 2000 rpm it sputters and misfires and loses power.

I have tried everything I can think of and have been told to try. Engine rebuild, New Dist, New Plugs, Wires, CPS, TPS, MAP, Injectors, and coil. New fuel pump and filter and the pressure at the rail is good at all rpm. We also tried purchasing second sensors and swapping them out one by one as well.

I also disconnected the exhaust at the Y-pipe to check for clogged exhaust.

The only ideas I have left to check is to change out the flywheel (mechanic said some of the CPS windows were slightly marred up like someone use a screwdriver to turn the engine). The last idea is to do a full run through of the wiring harness or just simply replace the harness. I have started to pull back some of the wrapping to look for broken wires although my mechanic did check the continuity of all the wires connected to the sensors.

One person I spoke to recently mentioned looking for a broken wire in the steering column.

I plan on changing out the flywheel as soon as I receive the replacement. However, I have spent so much money on the diagnosis of this vehicle I am getting pretty close to purchasing another similar year XJ to transplant my lift and new engine into then part out the remaining vehicle. At least it would be all my labor rather than labor plus parts.

So that's my story and if anyone has any input that would be great but I just thought I would throw this out before I dig myself deeper down rabbit hole on this Jeep.