Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

92 XJ with a hangover... ;( Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Angry 92 XJ with a hangover... ;( Help!

Since last monday, my Cherokee seems to have a hangover or morning attitude problem. It will not start till about lunchtime. If I try to start it too early, can't hear the fuel pump kick in (after multiple tries to prime it), but if I try again around lunchtime, it kicks right in and will start.
Back in the wintertime, after really cold fridgid nights, it would do the same thing in the mornings....after 'something' thawed out it was good to go....
ANY clues as to what I need to look for would be greatly appreciated! There's pressure at the fuel rail, makes no dif if I swap the relay for the ac one.
After it starts, I can run all day, let it sit for hours on end... and it's ready to go again, fuel pump sounds fine the whole time, starts right up with no issues. Just won't 'wake up' in the mornings when I need it to, until it feels like it
Everything works fine on it except the cig lighter (fuse?) & the back window wishy washy fluid thing....

'92 Cherokee Laredo, straight 6HO, automatic, cruise, power windows etc.... 180K
Old 08-01-2010, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by AngelFire
... can't hear the fuel pump kick in (after multiple tries to prime it)

Release the fuel pressure in the morning with a rag and flathead at the fuel rail. Try priming it again (Turn key on wait 5 seconds, turn off wait 3 repeat) then check for fuel pressure at the fuel rail again. If you have pressure its most likely not the fuel pump. If you do not then you need to do a good lookover of the electrical system.

Do yourself a favor. Replace the fuel pump fuse and give the contacts a good sanding before you do. Make them shine so you can assure you got a good connection. Also make sure its sitting in the holder snug and not loose.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:45 AM

Thanx!
Went out at high noon, turned the key bunch of times, like usual, no fuel pump kicking in. Pulled the hood, pulled the pump relay out and put it back. Played with the valve and gas came out, turned the key and the pump kicked right in and it started right up. It does this every single morning, i can let it sit all day for hours on end and it will start right up.
I live on top of a mountain in the woods, all i can figure is something is getting damp because of the dew or something, and when the sun hits it, it burns off..... no clue!
Old 08-01-2010, 10:34 PM

Start going through the electrical system.
To be on the safe side replace the fuse and the relay. While the old 'ens are out check and clean any corrosion you see on the contacts.
Craw under the back and check the connector going into the fuel tank. Make sure its secure.
Trace the wires back to the front and try to spot any damaged wire.

If all else fails when the fuel pump isn't kicking in check the relay with a multimeter. Hell it may even be your ignition switch for all we know at this point.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:35 PM
CF Veteran

From what I have been reading in multiple similar posts due to a no fuel/no start issue I have also been having it could be the Crank Position sensor. Unplug it clean it up, make sure the wires and connections are good then plug it back in.

I have not done mine yet as I have not had time so I am only making a suggestion based on what I have read and the problem you are having sounds similar to some others I have read.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Old 08-02-2010, 11:05 AM

Thanx...at this point >anything< helps!
Same crap this morning...fuel pump wouldn't kick in on multiple tries.
So, I got ticked off and did the same thing I was doing in the winter, when there were fridgid nights/mornings, blasted a blanket in the dryer. I laid it across the engine and dropped the hood. 15 minutes later pulled it off and the fuel pump kicked right in and it started right up... I'm not in the Yukon, it's warm here