Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

92 Jeep Cherokee Will Not Crank.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 92 Jeep Cherokee Will Not Crank.

I just rebuilt the engine. I replaced the timing chain, water pump, pullies, alternator, starter, fuel pump, fuel tank, fuel filter, transmission lines, fuel injectors, fuel rail (after first attempt to start it), fuel regulator, spark plugs, wires, distributor, map sensor, cps, battery terminals, battery, a/c system, radiator, all hoses, fixed all grounds, oil pump, camshaft, lifters, vacuum lines, fixed fuel lines around the tank, and more that I am forgetting atm. Now that we got everything ready to fire up, it will not crank. Sprayed either in the intake and would fire for a second. Noticed that regulator in the rail was leaking so decided to try the fuel rail off my other jeep I know that runs but was in a wreck. It stopped leaking and the fuel pressure went to about 38 without cranking and up to around 45 when cranking. Still will not start. So decided to go back and check timing. Redid the timing 2 times and still get nothing. It turns over and start acting like it wants to fire but nothing. Have been messing with trying to get it started since Sunday the 19th for about 5hr each night and still haven't gotten to hear it run. I checked all relays and everything seems to check out fine. Just don't know where to try looking next or what to try next. Anything will be helpful.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:16 PM

You sure you got distributor in right? Timing right? Do you have spark?
Old 02-22-2017, 08:07 PM

I am believing that the distributor is bad. So got a new one coming and gonna retry and check everything tomorrow night.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:55 PM

Finally figured out what the problem was and got it running. Was timing it off the mark on cap and come to find out that was the wrong spot to try timing it from. After 4 days of fighting it, it was something that stupid.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:33 PM

Isn't life fun!
Old 02-24-2017, 07:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by J33P4L!FE
Now that we got everything ready to fire up, it will not crank. ... It stopped leaking and the fuel pressure went to about 38 without cranking and up to around 45 when cranking. ... It turns over and start acting like it wants to fire but nothing.
Make up your mind. Does it crank or not?

HINT: Yes, it does crank. The starter spins and the engine goes round and round. "Crank" = "turn over". Two terms for the same thing.

"Start" is another matter.