Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

92 Cherokee front seat belt locking question

Old 07-02-2014, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 92 Cherokee front seat belt locking question

I have a 1992 Cherokee that my son has bought and worked on. Where we live we have to get a safety inspection before it can be insured. We took it into a certified shop. They wrote up 2 things that were wrong.. 1. Said daytime running lights not working. They do, after you move the vehicle and 2...rear high brake light. Does not come on the 92. Easy arguments.

Here is my issue. Both front seatbelts only activate(lock when you apply the brakes and slow down. They say they need to lock when you pull down fast. both fronts never will lock. I took the passenger side panel off and took out the bottom reel to have closer look. I can't see any kind of mechanism that would activate the lock paws when pulled down fast. The unit is clean and I do not see where anything is missing. Do these units actually lock up if you just pull down fast. The two back seatbelts do. Confused! and need an answer to argue my case for the safety.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

FWIW neither the front nor back belts in my '93 2dr lock when pulled down fast. There have been no trauma or mods that would have affected the mechanisms.

I'm purely curious about the DRLs. I assume you are not in the US?
Old 07-03-2014, 12:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

These are inertia reel harnesses. Like the other poster said, they don't lock just by pulling on them. That is so 1970's.

Your inspection station needs to go back to school for a remedial course.

Find another one that knows its stuff.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:55 AM

I would like to find another place for a few reasons, but they have already done the inspection and filled out the documents. Not just a matter of going to a new place now.

I have had many vehicles safetied and every place you go it is a different experience. I was not surprised to get these issues. It just happened that a guy who owns his own shop called me last night and he thinks these guys are stretching things a bit far....he has never heard of seat belts being failed for this. He builds and races 1/4 cars.

I agree that these belts are strictly inertia activated and that work perfectly fine. It is just the matter of getting the shop to sign off on it. I was given a direct ph number of a guy to call that works in vehicle inspections. Will call him and see what he has to say.

I just find it hard to fix something that is not broken!
Old 07-03-2014, 07:39 AM

Just the 3rd brake light mention would worry me about their training. My 94xj doesnt lock up when pulled down fast but my 92 s-10 did due to them being well used and needing replacement due to sloppy mechanicals.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Firestorm500
These are inertia reel harnesses. Like the other poster said, they don't lock just by pulling on them. That is so 1970's.
really? Every car I've been in locks when you pull them fast. 1998 ford contour, 2003 honda odyssey, honda civic, ford focus, lexus sc300. I'll have to check my cherokees...
Old 07-03-2014, 10:15 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L

I would start over with a different shop because it sounds to me they are trying to rip you off! Everyone knows daytime driving lights only work in gear. At least most do. They prob wanted you to leave the vehicle for a few days and then charge you to "fix a wiring problem" that never existed!