Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

91 Cherokee Limited --- Brake Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 liter V8
Default 91 Cherokee Limited --- Brake Questions!

Hi there!
I've had my 1991 Jeep Cherokee Limited for about a year now, and I've grown tired (or my right leg has grown tired, rather) of manual braking. When I purchased this Jeep, I was told it needed a brake booster. Well, being that the brake booster is sorta pricey, and I've had no confirmed diagnostic telling me that's actually the problem, I've just dealt with putting every bit of strength I have into the brakes.

I'm done with it.

Now, my question is this:
How do I determine what the brake problem is without paying some jerk a diagnostic fee?

Symptoms:

I have to press SUPER hard on the brakes to stop... the ABS and brake lights are both lit at all times. Every now and again (usually when it's wet out) my brakes will actually kick in like normal, except for the screeching, grabbing halt it comes to. That freaks me out, to be honest... it's darn near given me whiplash.

Anyhow, if anyone has some light to shed on this, please let me know. Also, when pricing brake boosters, I notice there's some that come with a master cylinder, and some that come without... if it is indeed the brake booster giving me problems, do I need to replace the master cylinder too?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-11-2010, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: inline 6 HO

before buying new booster check to make sure you dont have a leak in the lines, this happened to my best friend he though it was his booster but it turns out he had a hole in the break line from rust and all that