Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

90 needs new engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 90 needs new engine

Hi there.. My name is Setira and I am Ga. New to the forum and just bought a 90 XJ. I am not a mechanic but would like to learn how to work on the XJ.

After I bought the bad boy and drove it home. I took it to my buddy and found that it has a crack in the block by the freeze plug by the head, I was bit shocked it ran great and did not over heat.

So a new motor is in order. Here is the issue(s) that I am having. I only have about 2 grand to spend on a motor and found that rebuilt motor prices are 1600 to 2500 with core charge and shipping. Jasper motor was by far the most expensive, with most being in the 1600 range. I have the I6 4.0 what are some of my options and what are some of your opinions about who, where, or how should I acquire a new motor for the "ApocoWangon"

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2010, 10:03 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by Setira
Hi there.. My name is Setira and I am Ga. New to the forum and just bought a 90 XJ. I am not a mechanic but would like to learn how to work on the XJ.

After I bought the bad boy and drove it home. I took it to my buddy and found that it has a crack in the block by the freeze plug by the head, I was bit shocked it ran great and did not over heat.

So a new motor is in order. Here is the issue(s) that I am having. I only have about 2 grand to spend on a motor and found that rebuilt motor prices are 1600 to 2500 with core charge and shipping. Jasper motor was by far the most expensive, with most being in the 1600 range. I have the I6 4.0 what are some of my options and what are some of your opinions about who, where, or how should I acquire a new motor for the "ApocoWangon"

Thanks!
Hi and welcome to CF from Tj...wow sorry to hear about the motor
You may want to get a Junk Yard motor or find one from a "Parts" jeep (maybe one that was in an accident but has a good motor?) You can usually find one for about $250-400 in good shape but if you are sure you want a new one look on "Craigslist" or do a google search. Also www.quadratec.com sells motors & http://www.psengines.com/AMC6.htm ...Tj

Last edited by TrekkerJmm; 04-05-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:32 AM

Thanks for the reply

I am all for doing the junk yard route but I am afraid of getting hunk of junk. My wife would not forgive me for another mistake.

What do I need to look for? I have had so many people tell me that the motor has been rebuilt just to fine out it is crap. Do i need just the block and head then swap all of the parts or can just get the block and get new internals for the engine?

I was only looking at re-manufactured engines to help avoid the junk factor.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:40 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by Setira
Thanks for the reply

I am all for doing the junk yard route but I am afraid of getting hunk of junk. My wife would not forgive me for another mistake.

What do I need to look for? I have had so many people tell me that the motor has been rebuilt just to fine out it is crap. Do i need just the block and head then swap all of the parts or can just get the block and get new internals for the engine?

I was only looking at re-manufactured engines to help avoid the junk factor.
Yea "Wife's" can be like that...lol. You should find a 4.0 with some sort of warranty on it if you can or just look on Craigslist for one out of a running jeep, Just CHECK it out carefully or have a machanic go with you to check on it...Tj

Last edited by TrekkerJmm; 04-05-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

I would go with a reman with a good warranty. ATK has some decent prices however you need to know your head and block casting numbers. they send you what your's has and most places already have the core charge included in that price and it is refunded when you return your engine to them...free shipping on ATK's is also a plus right to your house and they pick it back up from your house when you are done with the swap.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:43 PM

Default engine replacement

Try everdrive.com--they sell used engines for your Jeep for $1,199.99 with a 3 yr warranty and unlimited mileage--also free shipping//bolt ons,hoses,etc are not included--look at the site and see if this fits your needs--George
Old 04-05-2010, 06:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 89XJ,98ZJ,72K10, 06 Tundra..
Engine: 4.0
Default 4.0

I dont know where you are at, but Ive got a 90 4.0 with 107K original miles on it for $350. Im in NC.