Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

89 xj D30 overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 05:17 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default 89 xj need help identifying correct parts.

Hey guys. So the golden turd wants more money and im having issues figuring out the parts. Its got DJHS Dana M30/181MM Front Axle
DMDS 3.55 Rear Axle Ratio
DRJS 175MM Rear Axle which should be D35

So my front end im leaking diff fluid out around the axle shafts. My balljoints and wheel bearings are bad as well.

The part im struggling to figure out is what axleshaft ujoints are the right ones. Ive got one piece axles to get rid of the craptastic vaccum axle disconnect. My 4wd has never worked presumably because of that system. I see 2 different sizes in all parts catalogs and i dont understand why. I salvaged one piece axles from the junk yard. And the ujoint sizes listed are 1.062 or 1.188 bearing cap diameter. So...can anyone help there?

The other thing is im losing brake fluid for the drum brakes. I assume from the wheel cylinder but ill be inspecting the lines later today. Build sheet says BKPS 10x2.5 Rear Drum Brakes And again there is two sizes of wheel cylinder here 7/8in and 13/16in i think. Dont quote me on that second one. But can anyone tell me what size wheel cylinder i should have? Im ordering this all from amazon so i want to get it right before hand.

I am going to be doing the axle seals. But again i see 2 different sizes. a 2x2 seal and 2.8x2.3 seal saying exluding axle disconnect so is that second one the one i need since im doing away with the axle disconnect system?

And lastly heres the shopping list. 2x ball joint sets. 2 x wheel bearing hub assembly. 1 x pinion seal 2x wheel seal 2x ujoint

Can you guys think of anything else that needs to be on this list while everything is torn apart?

Last edited by Crimmy; 02-17-2017 at 03:57 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 02-17-2017, 03:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Bump. Really need to get this sorted out guys. Can anyone help? Is cruiser54 still around?
Old 02-17-2017, 05:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Remove parts get local. Saves a lot of headaches
Old 02-17-2017, 08:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by freegdr
Remove parts get local. Saves a lot of headaches
Not an option. Otherwise i would.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Take calipers and measure your caps. Unless you know what year jeep the shafts are out of.

Also your axle seals will be the same size for both sides. Axles with the disconnect have two different size seals.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Buy all possible parts then return whats not used. No one can tell you whats going too fit.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:36 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by LACK
Take calipers and measure your caps. Unless you know what year jeep the shafts are out of.

Also your axle seals will be the same size for both sides. Axles with the disconnect have two different size seals.

So the ujoints are not present in the new donor shafts. Guess ill have to measure the inner diameteter of the shaft piece and see if that matches up to either of the 2 ujoint options or see if the guy who pulled em for me can tell me what jeep they came out of. For reference can you tell me what ujoint size goes to which year?
And as far as the seal which size is the one for the non disconnect?

Freegdr i appreciate you responding but again not an option. Im recovering from knee surgery. Ive been unemployed for 7 months now due to not being able to walk. This is not my money. I dont have the excess to just buy everything nor the option to buy it in a store. It is not my money to make that choice with. I was offered and told to make a list of the parts i need so that i can have some form of independence back after my life fell apart on me. So again...i need to figure this out before i get the parts. After i get the jeep back up then i can go back to work and start throwing money at it.