Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

89 Renix update

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 01:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 renix
Smile 89 Renix update

So last time I posted was a little over a month ago. I was concerned because I had the RMS and pan gasket done, and within that first week, had still gone through a quart of oil. Well, since refilling that quart - up until today - there hasn't been a single drop missing. It has stayed right up on full this whole time. Pretty stoked about that. The new injectors are also kickin *** and taking names.

Thing has really kicked some *** this winter, and has been invaluable these past 2 harsh winters.

Only issue now is it still (very rarely) will have the oil light flicker at idle when really warm (stop/go) and then go off as soon as the RPMs go up - my wife said it was happening a bit yesterday. Drives fine, sounds fine (slight lifter tick when it gets real hot and sits at idle for a long time, but any 4.0 I've ever seen or had has done that) So I'm snagging an oil pressure gauge and checking it this weekend, and at the same time I'll clean out the pressure switch port with a small handgun cleaning brush. I already changed the pressure switch, and the oil is fresh 10w30 Castrol high mileage, with a Wix filter.

Not too concerned about that, and I'm super happy that it's not burning oil like I thought it might be. I was really, REALLY not thinking it was burning though, and so I'm glad that I put my suspicions to rest. Will keep my eye on it, but it seems it was just leaking. The same thing happened on my 4.3l though - for a week after doing the RMS it still lost like a quart of oil, and then bam - not a drop of oil gone for the next 3 years.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Hey there Stabs, I wouldn't sweat it..My brown 90 never flickered even after coming up my hill with 280K on it. That's not a good sign of course, but not the end of the world. That said, with the climte here and me being the only driver I can run straight 30W Castrol. Not the best idea for most people. How many miles on that? Maybe when it warm's up a bit you could try, say 15-40 Rotilla and see if the light leaves you alone.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 renix

hey man =)

It's got ~145k on it now, so not much at all. It only flickers at idle, and only once it has been driven at least 20 minutes or so in some stop and go type driving. I'm not all that worried about it, I'd be really surprised if the oil pressure is actually dropping too low, but this weekend I'll be cleaning out that pressure switch hole and since I'll be in there I'll throw a mechanical gauge on it after driving it a bit and parking it and I'll see how it holds.

My last 96 did the same exact thing (with 300k+ miles)

I'm just stoked it isn't going through oil any more. I knew it wasn't burning it though, the exhaust seems perfectly normal.