Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

89 cherokee; radio, a/c and turn signals intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 89 cherokee; radio, a/c and turn signals intermittent

This morning I fired up the jeep, drove off and the a/c and radio quit working, next I noticed the turn signals stopped completely as well. After reaching my destination I turned the Jeep back on and everything functioned normal. It did the same thing again later, remedied by turning the vehicle off/on again.

Surely these items share a common ground in the cab, where is it?
Old 08-30-2010, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee

Not sure if the 89 is the same as my 94 but it has done this a couple of times and each time it has turned out to be the ignition switch on the steering column. On mine the ground was actually getting hot enough to melt through the plug and touch another wire. I replaced the female connector on the ground(due to it being burnt and did not look oem as it was like 2 sizes to large) then rapped it with electrical tape to try to keep the two wires away from each other as I had no plastic left between the two. To check remove the bottom part of the dash(screws all along where the two halves meet) remove the two bolts that hold the steer column up(on either end of the column 5/8s size) once the steer column is dropped you will see the switch which sits on top of the column remove the 2 bolts that hold it(and the tranny unlock and low to high beam switch) swing the connector from left to right to allow slack so you can unplug the 2 connectors that go into the switch and you should see a burnt spot on one of the plugs(my 94 its a purple wire). Mine has been fixed like this for over a year now and I have had no trouble.