Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

89 4.0 - Oil on driver's side, under the brake master...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 09:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default 89 4.0 - Oil on driver's side, under the brake master...

So I have a fairly significant oil leak, it seems to happen whenever I drive on the highway, at least I don't notice it much if I do a short trip through the neighborhood.

I've replaced the valve cover gasket and the oil filter o-rings. I know my rear main is leaking as well, and I need to replace the distributor one as well, BUT neither of those two explains oil all over the driver's side of the engine bay.

it pools under the brake master, and pours down. And its not an insignificant amount of oil. I drove ~ 35 miles on saturday and went through nearly a quart of oil, all of it from under the master cylinder then on the ground.

anybody have any idea for where it is coming from? I have no idea, and because it doesn't seem to leak unless I'm at freeway speeds/engine load, I have not been ale to diagnose in my driveway.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:40 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Pull your air filter and check. Mine was hosing the air filter with TONS of oil. Ended up just running the PCV line from the airbox to the ground from the valve cover..

My airbox was FULL of oil. Leaked out along the inner fender and under the brake booster on mine.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

were your crack case pressures too high? that doesn't seem like it would fix my issue, just give the oil quicker access to the ground.