Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

6 Inch Lift parts

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: inline 6
Default 6 Inch Lift parts

Ok so heres the deal. I want to lift my jeep but short on cash. I was gonna do a cheap 3 inch. I had found a thread on here where a guy cut a 3 inch pipe and welded a big *** washer on it and put it above the springs and 3 inch blocks in the back. I know not the best way but i already have all that stuff so it would be free. Instead though i want to do a 6 inch lift. I found springs on craiglist.What else do i need. If its not a necessity then i am gonna want wait. i just want to know what i need to make it functional and semi safe lol..
Old 05-04-2010, 12:47 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

once you go past the 5" mark you need to look into more than springs and coils....

Here is a list of what you NEED to do a 6" lift:
6.5" coil springs
6.5" leaf springs (or 4.5" lift springs with a 2" shackle)
extended brake lines (either off of an early 90's 1500(i think-and wrangler lines wont work as they are to short for 6") or stainless steel)
SHOCKS! you need a good set of shocks for the 6.5" lift.
track bar
lower control arms(you need to better ones. stock ones will bind up on the mounts also your caster angle will be so far off AND you will kill/sag your coil springs. (ask me how i know).
bigger tires and offset rims

what you will want:
SYE with drive shaft (some ppl get away with out needing it-i do i have no xcase drop or shims and the stock drive shaft with no bind and plenty of yoke left)
upgraded steering!
re gearing the axles if you drive it on the road

do not do the blocks or the pipe and washer! they are not safe. please just save up and do it right =] you can always do it in stages =] i do! right now the back is at 6.5" and the front is at 5" (remember how i said ask me how i know that you will need lower control arms?)
Old 05-04-2010, 10:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

At 6" you will need to go to a long arm setup or drop brackets. I have drop brackets and hate them and plan to build my long arms this summer. At 6" short arms are at such an angel you have almost no droop and a ton of bump steer plus the ride is awful. I ran that set-up for about a year and it was bearable but mine wasn't a DD.