Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

4low doesnt work/stuck in part time.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default 4low doesnt work/stuck in part time.

Alright so heres the new problem.

When I lock up in four wheel drive it seems to work fine. but i noticed that it anly goes into part time, and never full time, and now the other day when i put it back in 2H it still says its in part time, and the jeep wont move. after messing with it for a bit it finally slips back into gear, but now im afraid to put it in four wheel drive.
I think it may be the transfer case, but I'm not sure. I'll be taking to aamco today after work to find out, but i was wondering if anyone has had the same problem or could tell me whats wrong.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chadattack
Alright so heres the new problem.

When I lock up in four wheel drive it seems to work fine. but i noticed that it anly goes into part time, and never full time, and now the other day when i put it back in 2H it still says its in part time, and the jeep wont move. after messing with it for a bit it finally slips back into gear, but now im afraid to put it in four wheel drive.
I think it may be the transfer case, but I'm not sure. I'll be taking to aamco today after work to find out, but i was wondering if anyone has had the same problem or could tell me whats wrong.

The one I just bought had pretty iffy shifting. Couldnt get 4lo or neutral. The linkage had just come loose. Look at the shiny shaft in the picture. Your problem might be something as simple?

Old 09-23-2009, 02:38 PM

Yeah that was the first thing I did. doesnt seem to loose. but it may be jammed up I was told. wish I had some one to work on it with me, so I could crawl under there and watch the dang thing. The wife's sick and all my friends are afraid of cars. Some one be my Friend
Old 09-23-2009, 06:40 PM

Ok so aamco said my transfer case is almost shot. wanted $1050 for a new one. any one have a 231j transfer case they dont need?