Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

4 Wheel Drive Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Unhappy 4 Wheel Drive Problem

I have a late 96 Cherokee Limited - 4 litre (the 2,000,000th actually !!) - Right Hand drive. I've just had a new front offside drive shaft fitted and now the 4 wheel drive isn't working properly. It would appear that the split diff isn't engaging properly because, when turning (forward or revers), the drive/wheels seems to lock-up if the the turn is greater than say 20 degrees. Any ideas out there???!!!!!

Last edited by Old Man; 11-14-2008 at 07:43 AM.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Bad universal Joint in the axle or a broken axle. I have seen both impede progress on a turn of any magnitude whatsoever.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:59 AM

Default 4 Wheel drive Problem

Tks BlueXJ - I was wondering about a u/joint. The garage are saying it's the rear axle, they're a good bunch of guys but on this occassion I'm not convinced.

It's fine in 2 wheel drive

Another clue - when put into full time 4 wheel drive the "Part Time" 4 wheel drive light comes on.

The FULL TIME light hasn't worked for some time but I've not had any probelms in 4 wheel before this front drive shaft was fitted. I'm inlcined to see what happens if I do actually put into "Part Time" or even "Low Ratio" 4 wheel drive but don't want to make the probelm worse - at least it's going at present!!!!

Tks again for any help you can offer
Old 11-16-2008, 09:37 AM
Renix Super Guru

The dash will have both fulltime and part-time lights but the full time will only light if you have the 242 transfercase and that should also be indicated on the center console by that selection being available to you. If you have no front driveshaft then putting it in fulltime will be similar to putting the transfercase in neutral. A 242 has a center differential which splits power when engaged thus with no front shaft all the power will go there and none to the rear driveshaft. You may move a little but dot as much as 2WD.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:34 AM

Tks again BlueXJ - clearly you know more about this than me - but I guess that's why I joined the forum!!

Looks like I have the "242" - because I have the option for either FULL or PART TIME 4 wheel drive - I also have an option for LOW RATIO 4 wheel drive.

Backing up a bit (perhaps I failed to communicate).

The garage have fitted a new front offside drive shaft. The jeep is fine in 2 wheel drive.

When FULL time 4 wh is slected (a) the "Part Time" light comes on (b) there is drive shaft noise and (c) the wheels lock (or jerk) at more than (say) 20 degrees of turn - forward or reverse. If you move the selector to 2 wh it takes some time to "drop out" of 4 wh.

I think the problem is in the front (u/joint or diff) but the garage say (they think) it is in the rear axle or diff.

Is it possible to fit a new front drive shaft the wrong way - so that the u/joint or diff doesn't work properly?

Just seems odd that all was fine until this new drive shaft was fitted. Could it be causing an increased load to the rear axle so revealing a fault that wasn't showing up before?

I'm trying to save the old girl (it is the 2,000,000th Cherokee) but, if the garage is correct, the cost of a new rear axle could be the death knell for her !!

Tks again for your continued support.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:46 AM
Renix Super Guru

Rear axles here are pretty cheap and can be found for less than $100 in wrecking yards.
Not real sure what else I can say about your noise without being there.

If you do in fact have a 242 then the part time light should go out and the fulltime one come on. It may just need some adjustment.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:41 AM

OK, tks anyway Blue XJ
Old 11-18-2008, 10:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

are you experiencing this on dry pavement? if so, it is normal to feel the binding while turning sharp.
try this on sand or gravel, you should feel it slip around a bit.

check your axel shaft u-joints by selecting 2wd and put the vehicle in neutral and block the wheels with the parking brake on.
climb under the front and try twisting the shaft opposite of each other on each side of the u-joints. if there's ANY play whatsoever, it's bad. change em before it destroys the shafts on the road.
then check the driveshaft joints the same way.
try pushing them around inside the yokes for any play also.

in short of pulling the axleshafts and inspecting them for either stiffness or looseness, hope this helps.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:53 AM

Tks for joining the debate Caged,

I'll try it in a field and also try and test the u/joints ((I'm familiar with the extreme turn "locking" - but this is noisy and occurs at les than "extreme").

As stated this did not happen until the new front d/shaft was installed.

Garage claim that the new d/shaft is putting strain on the BACK axle and THAT this is where the problem is - ususally I trust those guys they've been good over the years but, on this occassion, I'm not convinced.

I'm further confused because the "Part Time" light comes on when I'm in "FULL TIME" 4 wh drive.

When I move back to 2 wh drive it takes some time before it disengages form 4 wh and when it does it come sout with a loud "clunk" !!!
Old 11-19-2008, 09:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

sounds like your t-case might be the problem. try changing the fluid to see if that helps.

i really don't think it's the rear end.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:08 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Hi Old Man, try putting it in 2 wheel then backing up a bit, that should disengage the 4 wheel drive...Tj
Old 11-20-2008, 05:37 AM

I appreciate the comments guys, thanks. We've not got to the bottom of this yet but I'm encouraged that all comments seem to relate to u/joints or t/case - not rear axle. I'll see what I can do with the suggestions made, if I they can solve the probelm I'll post the the answer, hopefully for the benefit of others.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:25 AM
Renix Super Guru

Just hope you get to the bottom of the problem Old Man.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:11 PM

4 Wheel drive's high range cannot be used on dry pavement with a "part time" system, neither does the low range.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1991

I am going to say that if they replaced the front axle and now that same axle is binding that its the wrong outer shaft

Quick Reply: 4 Wheel Drive Problem